Chapter 20: House of Memories

Evening - Phil was downstairs, making him and Dan hot chocolates with marshmallows on top while Dan was busy tucking his tired little brother into bed. Like she always did on Thursdays, Phil's mother was working the late shift - as she did for Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays too.

Phil was humming cheerfully, him going over the lyrics of one of his favourite songs in his head and scooping the chocolate dust into the warm mugs of milk.

Baby, we built this house on memories..

Take my picture now, shake it 'til you see it..

And when your fantasies become your legacy,

Promise me a place..

In your house of memories.

Phil simpered to himself; the song (of course) reminded him of Dan. He walked over to the cupboard, placing the hot chocolate jar on the bottom shelf and grabbing the small marshmallows from the top - the bag slightly open since he had some earlier on in the day. That was when his phone rang, the sound chiming from the counter opposite where he stood. Setting the bag down on the kitchen table, Phil wandered to his phone.

The police.

Immediately, he answered the call, swiping his phone up to his ear.

"Hi, is this Philip Michael Lester?" The middle aged-sounding man spoke through the phone, not even letting Phil begin.

"Yes, this is Phil.." Phil swallowed, fear rising in his gut.

"Okay, well, Mr Liguori wants to talk to you." The officer addressed, "Is that alright?"

"Y-Yeah.." Phil stammered, his heart pounding.

Why does Pj want to talk to him?

The line went silent for a moment, before another person's voice started to speak.

"Phil?" Pj's articulate voice seemed apprehensive; panicky.

"What do you want?" Phil growled as evilly as he could, the grudge he held clear.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to hurt you I swea-" Pj wailed.

"You locked me in a burning building, how can you say that!?" Phil interrupted, yelling at him.

"Please Phil, you have to trust me! I c-can explain!" Pj stuttered.

"Go on then, I'm waiting." Phil snarled, tapping his foot on the floor.

"I know you and Dan like each other, and I'm sick of it! Nowadays, he spends more time with you than his very own group of delinquents - that's not how it's supposed to work!"

"Well, news flash, the mind works in mysterious ways, Pj, that's life I'm afraid." Phil growled.

"Just listen! I know Dan loves you, and I know you love him, but why does it have to be you two that fall in love?" Pj began to sob, "..Why can't I fall in love?" A slight pause followed.

"Just hear me out," He continued after a moment, "you may not know this about me but I'm a very romantic person and I know it sounds selfish but I hate seeing Dan happy with someone..when I'm not."

Phil exhaled softly - he didn't know Pj too well, and he definitely didn't trust him, but to him, he seemed so petrified that what he was saying could actually be the honest truth. Still, Phil didn't know whether to believe him or not. Even if what Pj was saying was 100% true, he couldn't help but feel he was just saying this to get away with his crime.

"Why didn't you just say that instead of trying to kill me?" Phil grumbled.

"I'm a delinquent - I know no better! I thought getting rid of you first would make Dan so distraught that it would send him to commit suicide so he could be with you..." Pj bawled.