Chapter 24: Writing's On The Wall

<{*Dan Howell*}>

I've been here before,
But always hit the floor..

Dan got away with so many things in life, got through so many hardships and heartbreaks, and yet he had no idea how.

I've spent a lifetime running...
And I always get away.

Obviously, he wasn't fazed about almost being murdered. The thought of death would frequently flicker in his mind, him finding it rather pleasant after a while. He played with the thought of ending his own life before everything unrolled, and if it ever came to murder, he only wished for his killer to be someone he loved so dearly; Phil.

But with you I'm feeling something,
That makes me want to stay...

The yelling, the abuse and the tears - the bruises, the cuts and the drinking - the anxiety, depression and mental instability. It was all washed away because of one boy; one kind 16-year-old who thought he was interesting. Who wanted to know more..Who cared...

I'm prepared for this...
I never shoot to miss.

Well...sort of.

But I feel like a storm is coming
If I'm gonna make it through the day...
Then there's no more use in runnin'
This is something I gotta face..

Run away from your problems. That's what he used to tell himself. Just run.

But when it came to Phil, he couldn't. No matter how far he went, Phil was always there. Clinging onto him, never letting him go, and when pestered why he just answered with a simple "You're interesting...".

If I risk it all...

And Dan ended up falling in love..

Could you break my fall?

Of course he did...

How do I live? How do I breathe?
When you're not here I'm suffocating..

Dan was pessimistic in the beginning - he thought Phil and him were complete polar opposites, and would never get along. But boy was he wrong. Over time, he ended up discovering a strange and hidden side of the boy he once saw as annoying, causing something to click in his mind. He eventually gained an emotional attachment to him, at first trying to deny his feelings, which soon enough grew to the point where he couldn't take it anymore.

I wanna feel love run through my blood.
Tell me is this where I give it all up?

This was what led Dan to figure out the reason why he was brought here. The hatred, the lies, the generally sardonic creatures he came across on his painful journey through what everyone called life - it all led up to him finding the one true purpose he had on this universe; to fall in love.

For you, I have to risk it all...

Phil dug so deep into Dan's soul he discovered and managed to recover the last bit of pleasure left in him, savouring it so much it began to expand until it glowed around him like a pretty aura. And to think, at first Dan thought he was doing what he usually did - he thought he was just clinging onto anyone that let him, in this case that person being Phil. No, it was more than that. Way more than that.

'Cause the writing's on the wall.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Dan, where are my glasses?" Phil shouted from their bedroom.