{Chapter Thirty Eight}

I seriously cannot wait for Christmas break! Then I can't wait for my birthday because dad said when I turned seventeen he would pay for driving instructions. Yay! I not really bothered about my birthday. I'm just happy to get takeout and watch a movie. I like chill atmosphere. 

It is super weird sitting in communications class. Mona is a very good actress and the rest of us barley speak in the lessons. Its just... I can't put it into words. 

"It always feel odd not wearing my cheer uniform to school in winter but its just too cold we have to do it. Well there is a game tomorrow night so that is going to be freezing." Lilly explains. "Yeah, me and Mona are coming so support ya'll." I giggle and our arms link then Lilly stops which almost makes me trip. "What?" I ask. Then her follow her eyes to the poster on the wall. It reads, "Miss Narberth competition. Friday after school come meet the scouts and sigh up. You must have a talent to perform which you will have to write down on your sign up sheet. Good luck ladies for the rest of the school year ahead in preparation. There will be there ladies at the end. 3rd place wins $125 and gift card, 2nd place $250 and a gift card. 1st place wins $500, gift card, work experience for a week with a mystery fashion designer."  What is that all about? Lilly gets out her phone, takes a photo and leaves, dragging me with her. 

We get to our lunch table and sit down with our tray, me already munching into her food. "Mona! Nessa! The Miss Narberth is back!" Lilly squeals. "Here we go again." Mona moans. Haha. Nessa roles her eyes and they begin to pick into their food, the guys not listening but talking about the big game. "Guys, you always help me. You have too. Please." She begs at them. "You know were always here for you sweetie." Nessa smiles, gripping Lilly's hand. "And this year we have Grace to help too." Lilly pulls away from Nessa and gesturing to me. I look up, spaghetti hanging from my mouth. I slurp it in. "I'm still a little confused." I admit. "Hey Claymouth do that again. I wanna get that on camera." Fred say, holding his phone up. "Fuck of Frank!" I swear at him making the guys laugh. "Sorry Lilly what am I helping out with?" I turn to her. "Me win the Miss Narberth award!" She lashes out with a giggle. "She enters every year. She mostly comes either third or second place." Mona informs, then digs into her lunch. "I need. I want to win first this year and I need all the help I can get. The competition is harder then winning Homecoming or Prom queen." Lilly is dead serious. "I thought you din't care about winning Homecoming queen or whatever." I say, fiddling with my spaghetti. "I don't. Well. I would like to win but I'm not devastated. But this is different. You have a service to perform. Please Grace." Okay. "Fine." I sigh out and her famous grin appears on her face. "Love you guys so much." She says. 

"Hey Miss Wellows. Could I talk to you about the homework in my classroom?" Mr Golding says. All our conversations and look at him. Our eyes wider then the the world. "Of course sir. I will just clean up my tray." She responds with a smile on her face. "I will be in my classroom." He responds and leave. Mona beginning to get ready to leave. "What are you going to do?" Nessa asks. We all lean in with quiet voices. "Just a chat. Don't worry." Mona smiles and stands up, holding her tray. "Bye guys." She winks and leaves. A shiver goes up my spine. "Hey." I look up to Mike stood there. His friends behind him. "Do you wanna come join us for lunch?" He asks. "I look around to see everyone staring at me like hes insane. "I get it." Mike says, my heading turning to look at him. "See you tonight for our date." Then he leaves, his voice sound let down and slightly disappointed and sad. "I din't even say anything!" I say to everyone with an angry voice. Uhh this lunch hasn't been very good. 

Me and Max get back to my house and sit down on my bed, leaning against the wall. My room looks so bare. Plain walls and plain furniture. I don't mind. I think I will redecorate in the new year. "What was with Michael at lunch?" Max breaks the silence. "I dunno. But he is coming round tonight to have dinner with me and my dad so I will have to ask him then. I have to cook." I wine and rest my head on his shoulder. He slowly rests his head on mine. Our legs stretched out in front of us, dangling over the bed. "I better get started Max." I sit up. Our head bouncing back to position. "Yeah. I better go. I wanna go for a run and work out a bit for tomorrow." Max says, standing up then pulls me up by my hands. "See you tomorrow Max." I smile and he leaves. His voice doesn't sound us upbeat as usual. He is probably worried about tomorrow.

I decide to make stir fry which isn't very exciting but I am not the best cook and I don't like doing it unless its like a grilled cheese or something along those lines but yesterday I made English Madeleines. They are like a normal cake with coconut and cherries and a jam coating. I used raspberry jam. 

I have music playing through my speaker what I listen to in the shower

I have music playing through my speaker what I listen to in the shower. I get out and put on shorts and vest with sneaker socks a pull my hair back into a high pony tail. "Emily" comes on and I am dancing around my room, singing into my hairbrush. Then I jump back in terror when something hits my window. Max is grinning. I open my window. "Maximus!" I scream. ""Saw you busting some moves with your hairbrush." He continues grinning. "I hate you Maximus!" I shout back. "No you don't" He winks. "When me and my mom came round to drop of that welcome gift was the first time I saw you. You were singing too... Breakfast at Tiffany's. That's it. Into a mop." He laughs. "Like I said I hate you Maximus! What did you throw?" I change the subject. "A empty video game case." He casually replies. I look down to see it lying beside my house. "I'm closing my blinds now to get ready." I say. "Okay. Just I want to try your cakes so don't eat them all." He requests. "Yes Max. I promise. Bye." I say, closing my window then the blinds. 

I turn around to see mom stood in my doorway. "Can people stop making me jump?" I ask, sitting down at my desk. "Have fun tonight." She says. "I will. Do you like Mike?" I ask, starting to apply my makeup. "He's... Nice?" She replies. I stop and turn around. "What do you mean he's nice?" I ask. "I mean. I think you could do better." She says. "Well I can't. Mike is lovely. Okay." "Then why does Maximus not trust him?" Mom says. I spin back around. Not sure what to say. "Max is being Max. He is just a stupid boy. In the communications paper I got a A and he got a D- like its communications. How do you get that subject wrong?" I answer, continuing the work on my face. "I think in this situation he is the smarter one." I turn back around. "How? Tell me!" I command. "You will have to wait and find out." I go back to apply my makeup. "Hey sweetie." My dad says. "Were you talking to me?" He adds. "Nope." I respond. I can't tell him what I tell mom.  

Thanks for reading, written by Jess and Liv. Next chapter is Christmas eve/Christmas. It is weird because it is summer when these chapters are published and the story is at Christmas time. BTW if you have never had English Madeleines you so should! (Liv makes them and the are delicious. Anyway, we love ya guys xx