{Chapter Thirty Nine}

Christmas EVE!! I am just getting ready to go to Fred's so we can do our gift exchange. We could only get presents for under $10! It was really hard. I got Max another gift for tomorrow as we are all doing gifts together. Zachery is getting in tonight at eleven so it is an early night for me. Max is currently sat on my bed while I'm looking through my wardrobe. We have to wear a Christmas jumper and I have loads. My grandma makes them so I am trying to pick one. Then Kinda screwed up in the back is my favourite one ever that my grandma gave my mom. Like me, my mom wore glasses. She wore this jumper on our last Christmas. 

Hands place on my shoulders, which make me turn around with a fright

Hands place on my shoulders, which make me turn around with a fright. The jumper in my hands and water floating in my eyes. "You okay Gracie?" Max asks. I look down at the jumper and back up at Max. "My mom wore this jumper on our last Christmas together." I squeeze out. Immediately his arms warp around me. When we release we look into each others eyes. "I think she would want you to wear it." He whispers making me smile.

We go downstairs and dad enter the entrance way as we do. He glances at my jumper. "You look beautiful." He flusters. "Dad if its too much I can change. Thanks to grandma I have plenty of jumpers." My words rush out. "No sweetie. Its fine. So I'll pick you up at ten to go to the airport." "Yeah." I nod, picking up my bag of gifts of the floor. "Bye guys. Have fun." 

We get to Fred's and it looks so glamours. We all sit in the game room which is super cool. We all open our gift, admiring some and laughing at others. "Sorry Grace my gift for you hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully it will arrive soon." Max says to me"Don't worry it will arrive." I say, putting an arm around him. "Yeah right." Fred mutters under his breath. "What does that mean?" I ask, trying to sound chill at Fred's remark. "Every year Max says that and a gift never shows." Bryce says, Lilly hits his arm. I turn to Max who is gritting his teeth. "Its fine really." I smile. "Oh good." He says relieved. "Its fine. I only just got you this gift as tomorrow I got a expensive gift that I spent all my money on." I laugh. All faces sink. "Its fine really." I turn to Max. Deep down its not fine after what I got him. "Shame about the snow. It hasn't snowed in years for me." I awkwardly change the subject. 

"Hey sweetie." My dad says, me getting in the car. I just shut the door and strap myslef in as he pulls away. "What's wrong?" He asks concernedly. "Nothing." I sigh again. "Tell me." He says, his voice deeper. "Max din't get me anything. And I know I'm not a big fan of receiving gifts but he is my closet friend." I say, resting my chin on my hand and my elbow in my window frame bit.

We get to the airport and pick up Zachery. Which means I have to get in the back of the car. Stupid Zachery. 

We get back home and pt on our pyjamas and watch some old black and white Christmas movie with hot coco and chocolate. Its eleven by the time we go to bed.  

"Gracie. Wake up its Christmas day." My mom says. My eyes flicker open like a newborn baby opening their eyes for he first time. I sit up with a yawn and a stretch and mom stands up. "Don't ruin this day today. This day is important." She says, then starts to walk away. "What do you mean?" I blurt out, she stops and faces me. "Last Christmas wasn't so great because of me and I want all of you to be close. Have a wonderful Christmas Gracie. No matter what anyone says. I'm here." She smiles, her eyes teary. "Please don't go. Why can't you stay all day?" I ask. Getting out of bed and walking over. "I just can't Gracie. But I am there in spirit. I love you Gracie." She whispers and we bond in a hug. It is tight but gentle at the same time. "I'll just put my slippers on." I smile, pulling away. I turn around and walk back over to my bed and put them on. When I turn back she is gone.