Destroyed

"Colton, I-" She took a breath, "I don't want To get hurt again."

I pulled her closer, "I'm not going To hurt you."

She closed her eyes, "I just can't."

"But-"

"No, Colton."

I froze right there. She pulled away from me and started to walk towards the car again.

I can't believe I just humiliated myself like that. I just poured my heart out to the girl I love and she turned me down.

I sat down on the sheet and put my head in my hands. I heard a car drive away and felt two people sit on either side of me.

"what happened? ash didn't tell us anything." Whitney said.

I shook my head, "She said No."

"What! Are you kidding me? She loves you!"

I shoved my hands in my pockets, "Yeah, well apparently not as much as you thought."

Whitney just shook her head, "What exactly did she say?"

"She said she wasn't ready and didn't want to be hurt again."

Whitney groaned, " She's so paranoid! She needs to move on. I'm gonna go talk To her."

Phillip shifted, "Do you even know where she went?"

Whitney shrugged, "She always goes to Starbucks in times like this."

Phillip and I stood up, "Well we all came in the same car, so I'll drop you off at Starbucks and we will go back to the hotel."

"But what if she's not there?"

"Call a taxi."

Whitney groaned, "Alright, let's just go."

We walked towards the rental van and Phillip nudged me, "I can't believe she turned you down. I really can't."

I sighed, "I know, but I just-" I stopped realizing Phillip probably didn't care about the gaping hole in my heart or whatever. "Never mind." I said as I pulled open the drivers side door and Phillip got in the back behind me.

I sat in the car and Whitney handed me the keys, "Colton, don't worry, I'm going to knock some sense into that girl."

I turned the car on, "It's fine Whitney, she just wasn't ready, I guess." but I could tell she saw right through me. She could tell I was absolutely heart broken, and that all I wanted was for Ash to have said yes.

When I had asked her I was actually feeling pretty confident. I am still, actually, in shock that she said no. I had thought she would want someone to take refuge in, someone to be totally there for her.

She been going through so much, I feel like any minute she's going to break, either because of her sister or her conflicting emotions, and on top of that there's the stress that comes from American idol.

The car ride to Starbucks was silent. when we parked Whitney ran out and look in the restaurants window. She turned around and gave us a thumbs up. Ash was in there.

ASH'S P.O.V.

I was staring into my iced coffee and poking the ice cubes with a straw. I really don't want to face Colton after What happened. I promised myself earlier this afternoon that if he ever asked me I'd say yes, but in that moment I did the opposite. It's going to be so awkward and now he probably hates me.

Just then I felt some one sit down in the chair next to me.

"Hey." I said looking again into my coffee. Of course Whitney would know I was here. Whitney stared at me, "Why did you say no?"

I stirred the ice cubes, "I don't want to get hurt again, I just can't move past what happened with Brandon."

She slammed her hands on the table, "Would you get over yourself, can't you see this boy loves you! You shattered him! He's not going to hurt you Ash, he genuinely cares!"

I felt tears welling up in my eyes, "I know, I really like him and I trust him, but I-I-" I stopped talking afraid If I said anything else I would explode into tears.

I think Whitney had just about had it with my excuses, "You need to stop living in the past, Ash, and see what's right in front of you!"

I shut my eyes, "Well I've blown it now." Whitney just sighed, "You know he would still take you in a heartbeat." I shook my head and Whitney stood up, "How long are you planning to stay, because you are my ride."

I stood up and tossed my undrunken coffee in the trash bin.

"I don't want to face Colton tonight."

Whitney opened the door and walked over To the car I had taken here. "Well, just tonight, I'll let you stay in my room. But if you don't get up when I first wake you, you're done."

I groaned, "Oh yeah we have to go meet with Jimmy tomorrow, joy."

She nodded, "But I'm not giving up on you and Colton, there's no two people so right for each other."

I climbed in the car, "Just stop and drive."

We got the the hotel in five minutes. I walked into the lobby and saw Phillip and Colton leaning against the wall.

I scurried past them.

"Ash!" I heard Phillip call, I just kept walking. I decided to take the stairs just so I wouldn't have to wait for the elevator.

By the time I hit the twelfth floor I was exhausted, I looked down the hallway and saw Whitney waiting by the room, "Come on." she said and unlocked the door.

I staggered into the room and flung myself into the shower, immediately stripping and letting the warm water hit my skin.

As I washed my hair I couldn't help but think about the time I had thrown Colton's 'special' shampoo at him.

I cracked a smile and then my thoughts wandered back to the lake. Things are just never going to e the same.