Chapter 3

Jason followed me home and parked his car at his house across the street from mine. Yeah, we were literally that close to each other.

He followed me inside and we walked into the living room. Mom and Dad weren't home yet from work, so we set up our homework there for the time being.

"I don't feel like doing this project," Jason complained. "We're so close to college. Why does it feel like we're busier than before?"

"We can thank the Class before us. They slacked off so bad and got away with it..." I raised my hands, exasperated. "Faculty wasn't making that mistake again for the rest of us."

"Boo," Jason said. He began to work and in turn, so did I. I did find myself struggling, though. Not because the work was hard, but because of stupid Arden. Jeez, that kid was like a parasite in my mind. He wasn't welcome to live rent free in my brain, that's for sure. Yet there I was, picturing his golden eyes, wishing he was next to me.

Then I remembered... that lightning between Jason and Arden's eyes.

"Jace," I said.

"Yessss?" he asked, peering up at me from his homework. "What's up?"

"What was that weird interaction between you and Arden in the lunchroom?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," he said. "We introduced ourselves and then went to the table. What's weird about that?"

"The blue light that was in your eyes for a second," I said, immediately feeling embarrassed at how silly it sounded.

"Blue light?"

"Yeah," I said. "It looked like there was this blue bolt of lightning passing through yours and Arden's eyes for a second."

"Jade, I don't know what to say besides it was some type of weird lighting that you saw."

I don't know why I hadn't even thought about that before. It just looked so strange and real that my brain just threw all common sense out the window. He explained it away so easily, I wish I had done the same thing. Ashamed—but happy that that was cleared—I looked back down at my homework.

"You've barely got anything done," Jason said. "Please tell me you weren't thinking about that this whole time."

"I wasn't, I swear," I said.

"Okay," he said with an amused smile. "I'd be embarrassed for you."

We did our homework in relatively undisturbed silence. A lot of our assignments were electronic and needed to be done on our computers—essays and such—so we typed together rhythmically. As I finished the final touches to my first draft of my English essay, Jason said, "Are you excited to be turning 18?"

I shrugged. My birthday was two days away and nothing about that particularly excited me. I'd be getting a year older. Everyone did. And I know—oh she's so quirky, she doesn't care about her birthday. No. I'm a product of my environment. My family never ever puts emphasis on birthdays. And same for Jason's family. It was new to us when we went to school and they brought us cake and candles on our respective days. We didn't really care much for it, and the attention made us a bit uncomfortable.

"It's the same as every other 'born day,'" I said.

"Yes, but this one is only cool because you're an official adult," he said. "I guess what I should've said is: are you excited to be 18?"

"Yep," I said. "At least, I think so. Were you?"

"Pft, yeah," Jason said. "Is that even a question?"

"I don't know... Mom and Dad haven't been particularly excited for me. They've been so tense lately. It'd make more sense if it was at least with each other but they're still the same. They treat each other with the same love. It's just they've been on high alert and it's made me feel the same way."

My phone buzzed against the coffee table. I excitedly reached for it, Arden's name on the screen. Any reservations I had couldn't outweigh my interests. Besides, this was a happily needed distraction. I didn't like thinking about how my parents have been recently. Even going outside by myself, they've called me every two seconds. Even if it was just to go to Walmart. And they won't explain why they think I'm in danger all the time where they feel they have to check in so often. It was so confusing.

"Hi, Arden," I said cheerfully. "You're on speaker. Jason is here."

"Perfect," Arden said. "I have to talk to both of you, actually."

"Oh?" I asked and looked at Jason, confused. He solemnly looked down at his hands.

"Your life is about to change drastically, Jade," Arden said. "Someone very horrible is going to take you away from your father on your 18th birthday. Your dad instructed me to save you from this terrible fate."

"What?" I asked. All my excitement dissipated as I looked between Jason and the phone. I expected him to look shocked or confused even... but he looked unphased. It was as if he was expecting this conversation.

"Jade, I don't have time to explain right now. What you need to do is pack some of your belongings and be prepared for when I come to get you."

I hung up.

"Jade!" Jason shouted. "What the hell are you doing?"

I shook my head, flustered, and said, "What do you mean 'Jade'? This dude is a lunatic. Here I was thinking he wanted my phone number to get to know me. What the hell was all of that?"

"You need to listen to what he has to say," Jason said as my phone started ringing again.

"Are you in on this? It's a joke?"

"Jade, there's a lot you're going to have to unpack here and I understand your confusion, but listening to him is important."

"Jason, I don't know what he did to you in that cafeteria but I will not be talking to him. I'm sorry." I ignored the call and put my phone on airplane mode.

"Your dad knew he should've warned you ahead of time," Jason muttered. He picked up his phone and then put it to his ear.

"Hey, Arden, I'm putting you on speaker again."

"Jason, you damn idiot!" I hissed.

Arden said, "Jade, you don't have a lot of time left. 48 hours to be exact. You need to do exactly as I say or be unprepared for your journey. The choice is yours."

"I'm going to wait for my dad, and prove that you're both out of your mind," I said, glaring at Jason.

"Your father and your mother will not be coming home today. I have also taken them somewhere far away, where they will be protected. In turn, they have trusted me to keep you safe."

At that moment, there was a tauntingly slow knock at the front door.