Chapter 4: First Day Jitters

County High, also known as the bane of my existence, came in to sight as we drove closer to the school. It was decent academically for a public school and had a diverse group of students. It was full of cliques, of course, plagued with bad cafeteria food and a teaching staff who wished they were anywhere but here. In other words, it was your typical, boring, high school.

Jase found a convenient spot near the entrance of the school, which I suspected was left open specifically for him. One of the perks of being starting quarterback I’d wager. Like the years previously, Jase grabbed my bag and walked me to my locker. As we walked down the hall, some people just greeted him, some would pat him on the back, the girls would stare and the others seemed to part like the Red Sea to make room for him as he passed by. It was crazy to think of the amount of power this person next to me carried over the school but to me, he was just Jason.

“Guess this is it,” Jase said as we arrived to my locker. “Do you want me to wait with you until someone gets here?”

“Stop being dramatic Jase. Im pretty sure I can manage without you, but thanks for offering.”

“It sucks that we don’t have any classes together this year.”

I agreed. Jase and I had at least 1 or 2 classes together for the past couple of years and we would always partner up on assignments, but this year, coach wanted the team to take everything together. Some “team-unity building bullshit” as Jase called it.

“It wont be the end of the world Summers. I think you will be just fine in class without me.”

“But it’ll be so boring. Who am I going to annoy now?”

“Theres 30 other kids in the classroom. Choose one of them to annoy.”

“You know you’ll miss me Evans. Be honest.”

I rolled my eyes as Jase laughed and pulled me in to a hug. If I was being honest, I would miss being in class with him but, I could never tell him that. His ego was too big as it is.

“You wore that today?! After all the hours we spent in the mall, you chose the most boring outfit.” Lauren yelled out behind Jase who, after recognizing her voice, quickly maneuvered around to my other side which I found strange. He was always distant with her around but this time It looked like he was trying to avoid her.

“I was kind of running late this morning and just grabbed the first thing in my closet.” I tried to explain but Lauren was too distracted by Jase to listen.

“You're looking good Summers, but then again, you always look good.”

“Uhh… thanks.” That’s all Jase seemed to be able to say as he leaned against the locker and faced the hallway.

“Did you know that we have first period Spanish together?” She continued. Jase widened his eyes in surprise.

“How did you manage that?” I asked.

“I have my ways.” She smiled. She lowered her eyes at Jase and I felt him tense up behind me. Before I could ask what was going on, Aidan came up grinning form ear to ear. He was the only person on the entire campus who looked like he was happy to be back.

“Hey! Whats up? Hows it goin' Jason?” Jase just nodded which was apparently enough of an answer for Aidan because he turned back to me. “You look nice.”

Lauren rolled her eyes. “Don’t encourage her.” 

I closed the locker, slamming it hard which made Lauren jump. Class hadn't even started yet and I was already so over Lauren’s attitude. Aidan shifted his focus back to me