Chapter 22:... And I'll Cry if I Want To

My mom went through the checklist for the house. She warned me against leaving the oven on, keeping the door locked, and not to take candy from strangers. I swear, she was losing it. She also told me to keep Lauren in line but I reminded her that Lauren does what she wants regardless of the consequences. Her frown lines deepened and I laughed out loud. She was just too easy to mess with sometimes. She hugged and kissed me goodbye and hopped in to the cab. When she was out of sight, I picked up my phone to send Lauren a quick text.

Me: Mother hen has flown the coop

I then texted Justin immediately after asking what time he would be here.

Lauren: Operation party monster is a go. I'll be there in 10.

To my disappointment, Justin didn't text me back. I put my phone away and mentally prepared myself for the events ahead. It was time to get the party started.

Lauren was in my house exactly 10 minutes later, supplies in hand. We set up food in the kitchen, moved my furniture out of the way and picked the music playlist. We were on our way out the door to get the rest of the booze when the doorbell rang.

"That's Aidan with the keg."

"He brought a keg?! How many people are coming to this thing?"

"I'm not keeping track." My expression dropped.

Aidan stood at the door with the keg placed on a dolly beside him. He was dressed in a white button up and jeans and his blonde hair laid flat against his forehead. He was his usual adorable self.

"Anyone order some beer?"

"Come in friend." Lauren led him to the kitchen and I followed behind. Aidan placed the keg on the tile and immediately tapped it. I was mesmerized by the whole show.

"Where'd you learn to do that?" I asked him.

"Impressed?" I nodded and he laughed. "I used to party Kai, but then I started hanging with you and got boring."

I felt bad. "Really?"

"No, I'm just playing, my brother taught me. He's like the beer drinking master. I learned everything from him."

"Did you put that on your college application?" I teased.

"In bold lettering." He played along.

***

At 8, Lauren and I excused ourselves to get ready. The guests would start coming at 9 which left us only an hour to make ourselves presentable. We placed Aidan in charge of the door and beer in case people decided to show up early.

"I can't believe I let you talk to me in to wearing this." I squeezed myself in to a white, skin tight, mini tube dress that was somehow even smaller than my devil costume. I accented it with a gold statement necklace and black strappy stilettos. I checked myself in the mirror and even though I wasn't entirely comfortable, I couldn't help but think I looked decent in it.

"It's your birthday, you have to stand out! Plus the white makes you look extra virginal." I told Lauren what happened with Justin after she left yesterday which I immediately regretted when she took his side. The words "cock tease" were used quite a few times to describe me. "Has he texted you back?" I checked my new phone for the millionth time and saw nothing. Not one damn text message. I shook my head.

"I wouldn't worry. His ego is just hurt. You'll get a chance to talk to him tonight."

"If he even shows up."

"He'll show up. He would be stupid not to. We're throwing the party of the year after all."

Getting ready took longer than anticipated so when we went downstairs, my living room was already full of people.