Chapter 18: Truth and Nothing but the Truth

It was mid afternoon when I woke up to Jason's ringing phone. I went to silence it but Lauren's name flashed on the screen.

"Hello." I answered, my voice came out scratchy.

"Who is this?" her accusing tone took me by surprise.

"It's Kai dummy, who else would answer his cell phone when you call?"

"You're with Jase?"

"Well not right this moment." I looked around my empty room realizing I didn't know where he was but the sound of the shower gave his location away. "He's in the shower. Weren't you calling him to talk to me?" I couldn't think of any other reason for her to call him and she must of heard the news of last night by now.

"Umm right, of course. Your phone went straight to voicemail when I tried to call earlier."

"Yeah I had a little accident yesterday. I have to get a new phone now. So I'm guessing you heard about last night."

"What about last night?" She didn't know? Come to think of it, I didn't see her at the party at all.

"Where were you last night?"

"That's kind of the reason I called, can I come over?" Just then a half naked Jase walked in to my room. He was still wet from the shower and I couldn't help but admire the way the water dripped from his chiseled chest and down the deep lines of his perfect abs. The water soaked in to the front of the towel that he had wrapped low enough around his waist to expose the defined cuts that formed in to a perfect V shape. I snapped out of my trance when I caught my eyes lingering longer than I would like to admit. He noticed me on his phone and raised his eyebrow at me. I mouthed Lauren to him. A flash of worry came to his face but it came and went so quickly, I wasn't sure I saw it at all.

"I don't know if today is a good day for you to come over." I said to Lauren thinking about the conversation I needed to have, "I have some stuff to take care of."

"I promise I wont stay long." I checked the time. My mom would be home soon.

"How about later? We can meet at the diner."

"Not the diner! Aidan will be there and I don't really want to see him. I need girl time." Girl time always meant something serious. "How about the park near your house? Around 8?"

"Sure. I'll be there." And then she hung up.

That entire conversation was so strange to me. Why was she being so secretive? Was it something so bad that she couldn't even be around people to talk about?

"What was that about?" Jase asked. He was still in his towel, distracting me.

"No clue. She seemed off. Do you know anything?"

Jase suddenly turned defensive. "Why would I know anything that goes on in her life?"

I put my hands up to surrender. "Geez, I was just asking."

Jase left the room in a huff to change and I sat there even more confused about what was going on with my best friends when I heard a car door slam. My mom was home. Apparently, Jase heard it too and came to me and grabbed my hand.

"You ready?"

I took in a deep breath and exhaled. "You wont leave me right?"

"Never."

With that said, I mustered whatever courage I had, and went downstairs. It was time for the truth.

***

Jase and I met my mom in the kitchen, where she was taking out food to prepare for dinner.

"Oh good, Jase is here! I had the most wonderful time last night and I want to tell you all about it but first, how was the party?"