Chapter 30: Spring Break

I was in a funk to say the least and not very good company. I kept the NYU rejection a secret due to embarrassment. There was never a doubt in my mind that I wouldn't be accepted in to my dream school which made the rejection that much worse. It was the last week of March which meant County Falls High was on spring break and everyone had fabulous plans, everyone except me that is. My mother and Rick were off on a cruise to the Caribbean, and Lauren was in Mexico with "some family and friends" as she put it. I didn't ask her further questions because, frankly, I didn't care about her trip. My mother offered an invitation for me to join them but I turned it down. There was no way I was going to be stuck on a boat filled with couples and happy people. I was content on staying in my room and pigging out on junk food for the week.

I was snuggled underneath my comforter Sunday morning when I felt something fall across my body.

"What the hell?" I asked out loud. Aidan stood there scowling at me, stuffed animal in hand. He raised it again and smacked me with it. "Whats your problem Monroe?"

"This is pathetic Kai. Are you planning on staying underneath there until school starts?"

"As a matter of fact I was." I looked around him, checking to see if he was alone. "How did you get in here?"

"Your mom asked me to check on you when she left. She told me where the spare key was hidden." I nodded, accepting his answer. It was typical of my mother to have someone check in on me. Usually it was Jase but since he and I hadn't spoken in two months, it was natural that the burden would fall on Aidan. Aidan pushed me aside to sit down next to me.

"I know you've been down lately but this isn't healthy. You have to leave the house sometime."

"No I don't." I said stubbornly and covered myself again in the blanket. Aidan yanked it off, messing up my hair more.

"You're coming with me." He commanded.

"Stop bossing me around! I am perfectly fine spending spring break alone in my room."

"It's not a question Kai. I told your mom that I would look after you and I can't do that when I'm out of town so you are coming with me."

"I have to work."

"Not anymore. I talked to Uncle Carl yesterday. He noticed your mood as well, so he agreed to let you have the week off to relax."

"You don't have to help me."

"I know I don't. I'm acting purely for selfish reasons. I don't want to spend the entire week helping and babysitting my sisters kid." I remembered then that Aidan was visiting his sister and I completely understood his reasons. I would go crazy too if I was cooped up with a new born child.

"Fine." I resigned. "You win."

"Damn right I win. Get your stuff ready. I'll be waiting downstairs."

Aidan left and I rushed to get my luggage together. I wasn't sure what to pack or where exactly where his sister lived. He let me know that she lived near the beach and that the weather would be warm enough to go in to the water. That helped out with my packing ordeal so I threw in and assortment of shorts, skirts, and tanks as well as my bathing suit. After an hour of getting everything ready, we were ready to hit the road.

***

Aidan's sister, Robin, lived in Point Vista which was a small town only minutes from the ocean. I did not want to admit it out loud, but I was actually looking forward to relaxing by the beach and working on my tan. After everything that happened these last few months, it was nice to get away and I was feeling grateful for Aidan and Uncle Carl for realizing I needed time to away.