Chapter 36: Go Get Your Man

I stayed home from school for a few days after my confrontation with Lauren. I claimed to have the stomach flu but in truth, I was hurting from losing my friend. When I went back to school and reached my locker, all of her stuff was moved out. All of her school books, the pictures that we taped up, everything of hers was gone. It was like she never existed. I found out where she went shortly after discovering the move. She giggled wildly with her new friends and she placed her books in to its new home. Vanessa cleared some space and added a new shelf for Lauren. We were officially done and it stung like hell. I had to keep reminding myself that she was a stranger now which was the only thing stopping me from marching up to her and taking everything I said back.

I still had the week off from work because of my "illness." Uncle Carl knew it was finals week too which made his decision to give me time off easier. I studied like a mad man after finally getting everything off my chest. Aidan and I discussed our classes together over the phone because he had a big swim meet coming up and I didn't want to risk catching the imaginary bug I had. I kept the charade up because frankly, I wasn't up for visitors. All of the hours spent studying paid off because I breezed by every one of my tests. CU was becoming more of a reality everyday.

***

I stared at the the students while spending my usual lunch hour sitting in my car. They looked just as antsy as I felt to have the school year end. I was in the middle of reading the latest young adult novel when I heard a tap at my window. I jumped up at the sound. I wasn't used to visitors anymore. Dana waved at me from the outside and I motioned for her to come around to the passenger side so I could let her in.

"Nice digs Evans." She said when she hopped in and made herself comfortable. "You made it seem homey in here."

"Thanks Dana. How did you find me?"

"The guy you're usually with, Aidan, said you might be here if you weren't in the photo room. I knew you were going through something but do you really have to eat lunch in your car?"

"Only when I have to. I'm normally in the photo room eating lunch with Aidan, but he and Seth were busy so..." there was no need to finish my sentence. It was sad enough.

"I've seen that Lauren girl at Vanessa's locker. Something going on there?"

"We've decided to go our separate ways." was the explanation I gave her.

"It's probably for the best. She's been talking a lot of shit about you lately. The guys are getting sick of it. Jase doesn't even eat with us anymore now that they're always around." That was news to me. I wondered where he was eating lunch at. Probably with Taylor, I thought. "Anyways," she continued, "I wanted to tell you the good news. Jase broke up with Taylor." I gasped like an idiot. "Yup. Last week. I tried to tell you when it happened but you weren't in school."

"I was sick." I told her.

"Figured. Anyhow that's what's happening." She paused waiting for me to say something. When I didn't she continued. "So, what are you going to do about it?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, theres nothing keeping you from him anymore right? Go get your man back!" she exclaimed, pumping her fist in to the air. I laughed lightly and shook my head.

"It's not that simple. There's a lot that's happened since he and I last spoke. There's too much hurt there."

"So what? He's been brooding since January. Everyone thought it was because of state championship but I knew better. He misses you. He stares at you when you're not looking. He perks up at any mention of you. He's miserable and I know you are too."