eight

It had been about half an hour since we left Mazzala

  It had been about half an hour since we left Mazzala. We had a large pizza sitting in the backseat, and me sitting in the passenger seat of Zach's car. Yet we didn't seem to be reaching anywhere. I looked at Zach trying to hide my uncertainty as much as possible. Too bad I had an easy to read face.

"What's bothering you?"

"Nothing at all."

I shut up for a moment there structuring my next question carefully.

"So this place we are going. Is it some sort of a surprise?"

"Not really. I just don't know what it's called. I stumbled upon it one day when I got lost."

Uh oh. Gulp...
      I laughed a nervous laugh. Then I decided looking out the window seems like the safest bet. We were nearing the outskirts of the town. The sun had set a little while ago. The brilliant sky had me mesmerized. I have an entire folder of pictures of the skyline, yet the photographer in me never seemed to be satisfied with what I captured. Even today my efforts had been futile.
          Slowly the car came to a stop. We were next to the river now, just a few meters before the bridge. I looked at Zach with a riddled expression. He got out of the car and rounded to my side of the door while I still sat there utter, confusion written on my face. Did we drive this far to sit at the side of the road. I didn't even realize when he opened the door next to me. When I still hadn't moved he hesitantly picked up my hand from my lap. I snapped back to my senses and got out. He took the pizza from the backseat and I started trailing behind him. He reached a point where the railing was a little bent low enough to climb over it. Realization dawned on me as he swung one leg over it. My eyes almost bulged out of my head and I started shaking my head vehemently. Was he going to jump off into the river with a box of pizza in hand and me watching? That is a weird way to commit suicide.

"Zach, what do you think you're doing?"

I stared at him apprehensively. He tilted his head to the side to gesture me to follow him.

"Don't you trust me?"

At this exact moment...hell no!
I followed him gingerly. The moment I was on the other side of the railing I saw a small path leading downwards somewhere towards below the bridge. We went down the slope a little further and then I saw that the ground levelled out for a bit. A small bench sitting on the bank. We reached there and the view was breathtaking! We could see the lights glimmering in the distance. The moonlight bounced off the soft waves of the river. The lapping sound had a calming effect on me. I could just sit there and enjoy this forever.
     Zach gestured me to sit on the bench beside him. There was a smile on my face in full bloom. When I looked at Zach he was wearing the same expression.

"You like it."

      It was more of a statement and I wasn't denying. I kept staring at his face and his eyes and how they had a glimmer in them. They weren't the grey blue color anymore. They seemed darker. Just like the sky. I didn't want to avert my gaze. Hell I couldn't even if I tried. The cool breeze rising from the water, the glimmering sky, the beautiful dimpled boy in front of me, this place. All of this was a little too much for my heart to take.
   Zach rubbed the tip of his nose, looking very very shy. If it wasn't so dark here I could've sworn I saw him blush. I wasn't stupid enough to point that out though. We sat there in silence for what seemed like minutes and an eternity all at once, the air filled with something unknown. Neither of us had managed to wipe those smiles off our faces.

"You know. I wanted to tell you something..."

Is this really happening!

"I really like you Amelia..."

___________________________________________
Woah! Did that just happen?
I'm still having trouble believing I came up with that.
Also turns out I'm also doing the author's note thingy. Very wattpadish i know.
I hate college.