eighteen

When I turned around I saw Aaron, face-flat on the floor, just outside the door

When I turned around I saw Aaron, face-flat on the floor, just outside the door. So that's what the sound was! We rushed forward to see exactly what happened. I crouched down next to him and tried to get him to sit up. Zach helped me get him up. Aaron was drunk out of his senses.

Aaron never got drunk! He was a lightweight just like me and God forbid the cocky Aaron let himself do something stupid to ruin his perfect image! This was very unlike him. Marcus came rushing out and then another couple guys from the team.

"Woah! I've never seen him like that!"

And I couldn't agree more with Marcus. Aaron had a grimace plastered to his face. He was saying something but his words were slurry and a little swelling was starting to show on his right cheek.

"Oy Parker! What the hell!"

I was furious! What was with him lately. He was acting weird and so out of character.

"Did any of you get him drunk?"

I pretty much glared at the boys standing in front of me.

"No. We were just having fun, we didn't force him to drink."

"Yeah, actually even we thought it was weird to see him drinking like that."

Another guy agreed. I couldn't believe what was happening. I was gonna have to have a talk with Aaron. Soon. And he couldn't pick worse timing! I was still slightly tingly and flushed from my kiss with Zach. And then Aaron had to go and ruin the moment.

This was completely unacceptable, but there had to be some kind of an explanation. I squatted next to trying to figure out what exactly was wrong with his brain. I stared at his face, he stared at mine and my frown only intensified.
Someone had gotten an ice pack and I pressed it to his swollen cheek. He flinched at first and then broke into the most innocent smile I've seen on his face.

"So cool!"

And .then. he. Giggles.
The nerve he had!

"On a scale of 1-10 how drunk are you?"

I wasn't even sure he could comprehend what I was saying.

"1500!!"

He really had gotten shit faced. I looked at Aaron who had sat beside me by then and gave him an apologetic smile.

"I think it's better if I take him home."

I was so disappointed! God how frustrating! Everyone dispersed by then and Zach helped me get Aaron in his car. We buckled up Aaron and I was about to get into the drivers seat when Zach held my hand and stopped me.

"You want me to come?"

How could he be so sweet about it! We had gotten over our awkwardness with so much difficulty only for it to get tossed. I simply shook my head and Zach broke into his heartwarming butterflies inducing dimpled smile. This guy was sometimes too nice for me to handle.
I got into the driver's seat and started the car.

"You really owe me one Parker!"

I grumbled mostly to myself.

"You're here..."

So his brain is still functional...

"Yes"

"Zach?"

"He's still at the party. No need to ruin his night.
Although you already did the damage."

"Ew."

"Ew what Aaron?

"I saw you two."

Was he kidding me. Had his drunken state numbed his brain. Did he not see he was digging his own grave?

"Then you should've just turned around and walked back in, instead of pulling that stunt..."

At this he pouted. I was having issues with this drunk Aaron. It seemed like along with some of his brain cells he also lost a decade of his age. How was I supposed to yell at him then? Well I was gonna wait till morning anyway.

"But you're here. With me."

"Yes Aaron. Somehow I happen to have my priorities straight. And getting you home is at the top right now!"

But I couldn't really complain. I couldn't recall all the times Aaron had been there for me. He'd stuck with me through thick and thin. That was partially why our recent weirdness bothered me so much.
We drove in silence. Aaron kept drifting in and out of consciousness but he was knocked out for the most part. We reached his house and I tried to wake him up. The human did not budge. I combed my fingers through his mussed hair. His cheek had turned slightly purplish. I touched it to inspect the damage and that woke him up.

"We're here. You can take your car from my place tomorrow."

He just mumbled something.

"Aaron. Go in. Sleep. Take care."

Still nothing.

"Aaron, you have to go in."

I touched his cheek and he held my hand in place.

"Stop doing that!"

I guess it must've hurt. Oops.

"Thanks."

I nudged him to get up.

"I love you Millie."

"Love you too stupid. That's what best friends do. Now go in. I'm holding off your assassination till the morning!"

He gave a rueful smile and went back into his house. And there I was thinking, it would be me this time, disappearing behind the door as Zach watched my retreating back.

___________________________________

"Love is evol"
~ Parish N