twenty-three

I reached the school and was baffled by what I saw there

I reached the school and was baffled by what I saw there. Half the basketball team was gathered in a circle right outside the gate. I could hear Zach's pleading voice begging Aaron to listen. As I got nearer I saw Aaron seething, clenching and unclenching his fist with frustration.

"Hear me out will you? It would be better for all of us!"

"Leave me the fuck alone Miller! This topic is NOT open for discussion!"

I then noticed that Zach was nearly in tears. You just have got to be kidding me!
I walked up to the bunch and put my hand on Zach's shoulder. He turned around startled by it. I sent him a questioning look but Aaron spoke up first.

"Put a lease on your nosy boyfriend Barnes. He has a habit of sniffing around where his nose isn't welcome."

     Then it struck me. True to his form Zach had yet again trespassed into what I'd specifically stated, wasn't his business. I saw red. I had been scrambling to hold on to the last pieces of what had been my longest friendship and Zach just went and ruined the whole thing.

"What did you say to him?"

I was fuming! I balled up my fists trying very hard to not loose my calm.

"Actually! Nevermind... We're leaving. Come on."

     I didn't even grab his hand. Just expected him to follow. As I turned around I looked at Aaron, hoping he could somehow see how sorry I was and how much this was breaking me. Our eyes met and only for a fleeting moment I felt like he understood. I didn't turn back after that, just headed straight to my car.

"I really don't appreciate you going behind my back and jeopardizing what little chance I have of reconciling with my closest friend. I had told you to stay out of it and look what you did!"

I was shaking all over with fury, frustration and helplessness. I knew Zach only wanted the best for me but he just didn't realize how much he was encroaching on my personal space! Yet I also knew that nothing warranted the way I was treating him. I was conflicted and confused and hurt and pissed and everything else in that region. So I decided that shutting up at that moment would be the best thing to do.

Zach kept giving me worried glances. I did my best to not look at him. I wasn't sure what to do with myself or him. Things had gotten way out of hand and I was going to salvage at least one of my relationships. Zach didn't deserve to be treated like shit. We reached his house and a risked a peek as he got out of the car. His eyes looked grey and murky. That's what I was doing to him.

I needed a master plan and I needed it yesterday if I want to succeed at all.

I remembered how it all started. That day, at his house, watching Sherlock. Then I remembered all the good things we did. I remembered his eyes that changed color, and his unusual dimple and how he cared so much. Maybe I was scared for no reason. Maybe I should have let him in a little more. Maybe I was the biggest piece of shit and didn't deserve him in the first place. But pieces of shit are known to be selfish and I was gonna be it, one last time.

I went straight to my room and started hacking at my plan. I was pretty darn sure it would work. All I needed was some paper some pens and a miraculous surge in my creativity. I could do this. I was going to win Zach back and then treat him with the respect he deserved. Brooke and Aaron can go to hell because at this point I couldn't care less.