fourteen

After I got home after my date I spent about forty eight hours straight with my mother doing absolutely random shit

     After I got home after my date I spent about forty eight hours straight with my mother doing absolutely random shit. I truly did miss her and her job was genuinely taking more and more time away from us. So after the weekend I spent I managed to forget to put an alarm and thus barely made it to school ten minutes before the bell rang.

     Brooke and Aaron were already in class. Brooke was perched on the bench top, Aaron in the chair next to her. They were deep in conversation. Aaron looked positively peeved about something. Brooke seemed to be consoling him. I guess I am a terrible friend through and through. I was so wrapped up in my own world, I was really surprised how I hadn't noticed the connection between these two. I was happy for them, but after Aaron's outburst from Friday I was going to stay quiet for the time being. When I saw that they had paused I made my way to the desk next to them.
      Aaron and Brooke fell silent at that and I decided it would be best if I didn't breach the subject just yet.

"Heya! Whats up?"

"Nothing. Where were you this entire weekend? You didn't call or text once!"

     It was nice to see that Brooke was talking to me normally. However Aaron was still silent.

"Mum got home Friday evening, so we were spending some quality mother daughter time."

I genuinely cherished my time with my mother. She was more like a best friend than my mum.

"She was asking about you."

     I told Aaron, but still no response. Something was up and I was desperate to find out. For the time being I decided to continue the same topic. Aaron had been a little wary of my mother in the beginning. Whatever encounters he'd had with her, had made him super awkward. Trust my mother to make the most confident boy break a sweat. But she was genuinely fond of him and soon he had warmed up to her as well. Sure she still made inappropriate jokes about our relationship but we knew better than to take her seriously.

"Tell her Hi. I'll swing by sometime to meet her myself."

Phew at least I got something.

"So crazy practices today onwards eh?"

If nothing else this topic was bound to work and it did!

"Yeah, coach is gonna work the shit out of us this time. I just want the season to go smoothly."

"Wow! I'm so excited... This year is going to be remarkable."

      I tried to encourage him to keep him talking. Brooke never really took interest in our discussion though. She did come for the games but only because Aaron and I left her no choice. So I wasn't surprised when she had no input in the conversation while Aaron rambled on about his plans for the team. She looked bored and I was about to change the subject when she looked over my shoulder.
     I turned my head to see what she was looking at. Even before my head turned a few degrees Zach's face came in view, too close for my comfort. I jumped in place startled to see him standing right behind me. How had I not noticed him coming! God knows how long he had been standing there... I put my hand on my mouth and the other on my chest to calm my erratic heart beat. Seriously, this guy was messing with my heart in more ways than appreciated.
      All three of them started laughing at my expense and all I could do was frown. Thankfully the teacher walked in and there was no more time to relish in my embarrassment.