sixteen

If it were possible to actually see electricity, the gym would've been the one place to see that energy passing through every soul present, cackling, buzzing, sparkling! The energy was palpable, the audience was oozing anticipation

     If it were possible to actually see electricity, the gym would've been the one place to see that energy passing through every soul present, cackling, buzzing, sparkling! The energy was palpable, the audience was oozing anticipation. It was the first game of the season and the entire student body had gathered to witness the game that would set a path for the rest of the tournament. The match was in our school gym, the pride and joy of our high school, so the attendance was overwhelming. I was in the very front, ready to capture the game that was sure to become a milestone in my best friend's life.

      Aaron had finally reached out to me today. He'd picked me up in the morning and we had had our hearty talk which I do before every game. I was still tiptoeing around him but that could wait for a day. I had met up with Zach just before the game and even though he didn't really care about basketball I still wanted him to kick ass.
      We were winning all right! It was a neck to neck competition but I just knew it in my bones that we had that game. I focused my camera on Aaron as he took the ball from a guy and dribbled the ball towards the 3 point line. A guy from the opposite team came up and almost snatched the ball but Aaron quickly tossed the ball and it went right through the hoop. No matter what they said Aaron and Zach had a mind blowing chemistry on the court. They had been playing side by side for the past four years. Although Zach said that he didn't care much about basketball his facial expressions at that moment sure said otherwise.
    The game ended with us pocketing the victory. It was a tough game but the boys played really well. If I thought Zach looked attractive, he was breathtaking on the court.
     I rushed downstairs to the locker room and stopped right outside for the guys to come down. I was flipping through the pictures when I saw Zach approaching from the corner of my eye. I had a full blown grin on my face. He basically mirrored my exact expression.

"You were brilliant! The game was amazing! God I'm gonna have respiratory problems because of all the irregular breathing."

    I gushed as soon as I saw him. His face was flushed but he looked fresh. His entire body was glistening with sweat. I needed to get out soon. This place was gonna turn worse than a gas chamber.

"I'm glad you enjoyed."

    Dear Lord that smile!  He approached me and extended his hands. I linked my fingers with his, my face glowing with pure admiration.

"You were great!"
"You already said that."
"Right..."

What was wrong with me?  That is when I realized Zach was doing something rather unwelcome. He pulled me closer with our interlinked hands and I stopped him right there.

"I appreciate the sentiment mister, but I'd rather you have a shower first. I don't wanna ruin my clothes before I even get to the party."

    Zach laughed and headed into the locker room. The other players had started coming down so I started leaving when I was suddenly lifted off of my feet and spun around. This had to be Aaron!

"Hey! Put me down you disgusting human!"

    I shrieked between laughs. He finally put me down and I looked at his beaming face. He had managed what he had worked so hard for. I couldn't be more proud. We only stared at each other unable to look away. I had seen him push himself to his limit to get here and it had started to pay off.

"I thought you'd be used to this by now."

    He smirked, he knew how much I hated this and never missed an opportunity to tick me off. 

"Well just because I'm used to this doesn't mean I'm okay!"

    I smacked him on his arm but decided that the rules could take a break today. I engulfed him in a bone crushing, at least I hoped it was that, hug. I really was proud as punch!

"You did really well today."

"All thanks to you! I can never tell you how much your support means to me Amelia. I mean it."

   And I knew he was one hundred percent serious. God knows I'll be just as lost without him. So then, as awkward as always, I pushed him towards the locker room as well. I was not gonna ruin my eyeliner before the party because of some stupid tears of joy.