twenty

"What's lustrous yet dark, and mesmerizing?"

"I don't know about lustrous...
or mesmerizing...
But, my future?"

"Try again!"

"No clue..."

"Your eyes!"

"Flirtation 101?"

"Heartfelt compliment!"

"Hmph."

"Amelia! Come on!"

      Zach had been relentlessly trying to cheer me up, but my mood was as dark as my said eyes. But I guess losing your best friend does that to you.
      Zach had tried everything from getting my favorite chocolate, to carrying my stuff, to cheesy lines, to consoling, to straight up convincing. But what he needed to the most, but didn't seem to get, was that all I needed was a little space.
      I had started to get fed up of this. On one hand I was worried that my gloomy mood was gonna hinder what little progress we'd finally made, but on the other I just couldn't control my urge to slap a hand on his mouth or simply disappear.

"So are you going to tell me what happened or not?"

"It's not about you..."

"But you can tell me"

"Or you could let it go..."

       We reached the class and I slipped into the seat in the opposite corner of my usual one. We still had 5 minutes for class and I was hoping to spend them in peace before either Brooke or Aaron could spot me. Zach sat next to me boring a hole in the side of my head.

"Zach you can stop staring because I have nothing to tell. Give me some time and I'll be fine."

"Or... You could just tell me. "

"I told you it's nothing."

"Is it that time of the month?"

He whispered and I turned scarlet. It was amusing how he could elicit that response from me in much varied circumstances.

"No. It's not! Just let it go!"

      My patience had started to wear out and my frustration was about to burst through the seams.

"Fine if you won't tell I'm going to ask Aaron and Brooke."