Chapter 4

"Who else do you think will be there?" I ask Monica who is driving the car on our way to the party. I noticed she didn't want to at first, but she had no choice but to take me. She wore a plain black bikini with a skirt on the bottom, until she gets there. I decided to put on shorts over the bottom part of the bikini and leave the top open.

"What makes you think you can talk to me?" She rolls her eyes and looks back off to the road. I turn the other cheek and look away.

"You know, if you hate me THAT much, you didn't have to drive me." I try to stand up, but suddenly realize it was a big mistake.

I feel a sudden yank of the car: it stops..

"Wha-"

"The house is the last house going down."

"Why would-"

"Get out." She finally states. At first I think she's joking, but the minute after she's the one who unbuckles my seat belt and pushes me out of the car. Then drives off.

Great.

I keep walking just like she told me, and after a couple minutes I hear footsteps behind me.

"Grace?!" Shawn calls out. He starts running toward me and I approach. "I thought Monica was taking you."

"Yeah. That didn't go so well." I say. "Why are you not at the party?"

"It told them I would go, but that was a lie."

"Why?"

"Cause.. Nash is there. And you." He stutters.

"Me? I-"

"That's not what I meant. It's a long story."

"Then why are you wearing your swimming shorts?" I ask, suspiciously, trying to cheer him up from whatever's bothering him.

"I'm going to a friends."

"But-"

"That's my stop." He crosses to the right, walking towards a house.

"Wait. I just met y'all. And it doesn't make sense to have fun without any of you guys. Please come. For me. Not for him?"

"No"

"Please?"

"No"

"I can do this all day"

"So can I"

"Please"

"No"  I hold up 10 bucks.

"Fine." He gives in and we head to the party.

...

"Look who showed up!" Nash points to the both of us, sadly unexpected to see Shawn. "The beautiful Ms. Mason-"

Olivia coughs in the background but he ignores.

"And Mr. Mendes, the.. I got nothing for you bro." He comes in for hug and I give one back. He greets Shawn with a slight touch on his shoulder. What's up with these two?

"Well hop in!" Matthew yells from the pool. I awkwardly take my shorts off and slide my sandals to the side. The house is huge and the pool is much bigger than I expected. Nash stares as I get ready to walk in and we make eye contact. Olivia notices and walks out of the water slowly, as if it were slow motion, just for Nash to notice. Nash eyes her body up and down and I roll my eyes. I stand on the edge of the pool, in front of the deep area.

"Come on!" Matthew splashes water and I shriek. "Get in or you'll have to do it the hard way."

"Oh really? Make me." I tell him. He looks to my right and laughs. Before I can look, I feel two arms against my waist pushing me straight into the water. All I hear is laughter, including mine, the moment I float back to the top from the cold water. I try to find out who pushed me when I look up.