Chapter 10

I've literally had the best semester in my school life. It was perfect in every way. With the group, and theatre.

And Nash.

I mean, can you believe it? It's already been half the year. We're in November! And right now, I'm sitting in my classroom, waiting for the bell to ring. Why so excited? It's Winter Break! For like a month!

I love this school cause it's very similar to high school. We take bits of every class, we have breaks, we have dances like homecoming, etc. But the best part is, we have to decide our future (which class) by the time we return from the break. Nash and I already know we're doing theatre. Definitely.

"So don't forget, study your scripts over the break, if you want the part of course. Auditions are the day you return!" He yells, as everyone notices we have a minute to the bell and gets ready.

Mr. Halbert wrote a play about a young girl (in college) who is trying to achieve her dream of becoming an actor. She gets put down a lot but never gives up. Along the way, she meets many friends who help her through, including the guy she realizes she loves.

I'm really hoping to get the lead role, Emma, but there are a lot of other people who are as good as I am. Nash is one of the only guys who would definitely have a chance to get the male lead, including Matthew, Shawn, and Carter. But who knows, right?

"3 seconds!!!" Matthew yell out. After that 3 seconds, everyone screams and exits the room like a herd.

"What are you doing for thanksgiving?" Nash asks, bringing his fingers to mine. I'm used to it by now. This is like our hundredth time hugging and holding hands. I also met his family, including his little brother, Hayes. He's a pretty nice kid but could get pretty flirty, which got Nash mad a couple days ago. I also slept over at Nash's house a bunch of times (not like that). Trust me, that's wayyyyy ahead of me. I usually slept on the far end of the bed while he did the same thing on the other side.

All I'm saying is I don't get goosebumps from every touch anymore. Or every time he tells me how beautiful I am or how much he loves me. I actually found my true love and he found his. Monica,on the other hand, is still trying to show the real her, but is having a lot of trouble with that. Her true personality is like mine. We both like to read and ignore the party groups and all that. She just had trouble picking over popularity or true character. That's all.

"I might go visit my mom for a couple days. Hang with y'all and a couple other friends." I tell him, swaying our hands back and forth.

"I was thinking the two of y'all could come over for dinner at my moms on thanksgiving day?" He slowly asks, his eyes searching for the answer in mine.

"That'd be great! And they could meet you and your family, even though she still doesn't know about us." I tell him.

"Will she like.. Get mad?" His eyes flinch from the sun as we step outside, and so do mine.

"No. Definitely not. Even if she's not happy, she is the most understanding person you will ever know. So we're safe." I smile and he does too. He probably also sighs of relief.

"Sounds like the opposite of my parents." His hair flip literally catches me off guard. Why does he have to be so cute?

"You just need to-"

"No. You won't get it. They won't stop fighting. Never. It's much worse than you think." He sits down on one of the benches. I look at his eyes which appear a teary shade of blue.

"Nash-"

"Of course they're not like that when other people are around. Only us."

"You don't have to-" I try to stop him, or else it will go out of hand.

"It even got so serious that one day, they both started drinking. They wouldn't stop yelling! My dad pushed me into the glass cabinet as it broke into pieces, cutting every part of my skin." A tear starts to roll down his cheek. "Hayes was crying on the top of the stairs, where I told him to stay. The look on his face.. Grace.." He starts crying as he puts his face in his hands, hiding the tears. I kiss his soaked cheek and put my arm around his neck.

"Shh. That's okay." I try to comfort him, wiping away the tiny tears rolling down. We stay like that for a moment, until he stops sniffing.

"I love you." I assure him.

"I love you too." He says, getting up with our hands connected, pulling me up with him. "And monkeys."

I laugh and he smiles, which I am very happy for.

"Changing the subject, there's a party tomorrow night. Could you stay and visit your mother Sunday?" He asks. I nod, even though I've never been to parties that these kind of people have been to.

"I'm gonna go hang with Monica for a bit, is that okay?" I ask, facing him.

"Okay. Text me and I'll see you tomorrow night." He says, kissing my hand, and walks away to the parking lot. I watch him leave, and when he's gone, I head back to the room.

...

"Hey Monica?" I ask, looking for chips in the closet.

"Yeah." She says, pulling her earphones out of her ear.

"I'm gonna visit my mom this Sunday, after the party on Saturday. Do you think you can drive me to Massachusetts?" I ask her, hoping for a yes.

"Of course. Oh and I'm not going to that party." She says, finally dropping her phone on the bed and sitting down to join me.

"What? Why?"

"The last time I went, it didn't end very well.." She looks down, "But, we have to go shopping to see what you will wear." She gives me an evil smile and I know this won't end well.

Once we get there, we go straight into this store called Victorias Secret? That's what I remember.

"I still can't believe you haven't been here. Olivia and I always came here." She says. The moment we step inside, all I see are bathing suits, underwear, and any other kind of flirty clothing. Not my kind. We walk into the stood next door which is Pink. They're probably linked together. Monica starts rummaging through a bunch of dresses and skirts, finding a couple that she really likes.. For me. Before she can even show me, Monica hands all the clothes to me. Without saying a word, she takes me to the changing rooms, writing my name on the board next to the door, while I stand there clueless.

"Let me know each time you try one on." She says, and shuts the door.

I do as she says.

The first one I try on is the tightest and shortest dress ever. The front is really cute though. But comfort always comes first so I decide not to show her.

The second dress I try is actually really cute, but also uncomfortable like the last one. The dress stops about three inches above my knees. It's also ruffled on the bottom rim of the dress. This time, my conscience decides to show her.

"Cuteeee." She says, examining the dress carefully.

"But it's-"

"No. It's perfect. And it looks perfect on you." She says.

"I don't think so. I'd prefer comfort rather than looks and right now I feel like I'm being choked to my own death." I tell her and she smiles. She's one of those people who understands how I'm feeling. I like that about her.

"Okay. Try the next one." She gladly says, closing the door.

The next one is a spaghetti strapped blouse that is laced in the front top. The top fits perfectly and is actually pretty cute. The bottom is a really short skirt which at first I said no to. But when I put it on, I actually liked how it stood. It's also really comfortable. This is probably my choice. I walk out.

"Uh-oh." Monica says, looking at me with shocked eyes.

"What?" I ask, scared for the answer.

"I think Nash might have a heart attack." Monica says and starts laughing and so do I. I'm pretty sure she likes this one too.

We decide to buy the blouse and skirt for tomorrow. I didn't bring money with me so I pay her back at home.

Speaking of home, once we get back to the dorms, we realize how tired we are and sleep so fast as if we were on a cloud.