Chapter 20

This week went by so slow that I kept thinking everyday was a Monday. By Thursday, we had finished rehearsing all the scenes in the play. We just have to work on the set , props, lights, etc. So basically everything that's back stage. A lot of work, but better than seeing Nash's disgusted face eveytime he kisses me or even makes contact with me.

Anyway, today is Friday. The day of the pep rally. After rehearsals were over on Thursday, a couple of us had came in and designed the gym with decorations of our school colors. It was fun I guess, but tiring. But yeah, I'm really excited for today.

"Hey, can you pass me that chair?" A tall, curly haired guy asks me. I try to grab the chair with my left hand. "You know it would be easier if you grab it with two hands." He explains.

"I would've done that long time ago if I could've." I turn around to face him and his eyes land on my right arm.

"I'm-" He starts but I already know what he'll say.

"It's okay." I smile, putting the chair down in the row for the teachers.

Groups of students start coming in and it gets louder every second. Matthew, Carter, Shawn, Olivia and I head to the very bottom bleacher so we could see perfectly. To my right was Carter. To my left was a gap. A really hot guy was about to sit next to me but when he noticed my arm, he scooted back as far away as possible.

"Dude scoot down." The guy next to him says.

"No bro, I can't." He states and nods toward me.

Carter listens to them and forces me to trade places with him. So I do.

When the whole gym fills up, the principal starts reading his long boring speech about God knows what. The only thing I focused on was that next week we will have Spring Break.

"Now, Mr. Halbert would like to talk about his theatre class and give out awards for some special actors." Applouse.

"First. I would like to congratulate all the stundents that have been selected to move on with me for the next 2 years." Applouse. "I'm very lucky to have amazing actors in my class. The're all brilliant and I could never ask for more of them. To prove how brilliant they are, come and watch our new play "Julie's Journey" which will show in our auditorium the monday when we return back from Spring Break." Applouse. "I usually give out awards at the end of the year. But these awards are for the people that have literally knocked my socks out. Jerry Prill, for our tech manager." Applouse. He says so many other tech names which I completely balcked out on. "Shawn Mendes playing Proffesor Henry." Applouse. "Matthew, Carter and Olivia playing the three best friends." Applouse times ten. "Nash Grier playing Mike." The croud goes wild, shaking the gym. "And last but not least, Grace Mason playing Julie." Silence. The only cheering I hear comes from Carter, Matthew and Olivia.

As I walk up to Mr. Halbert everyone in my way backs away. Yes, I had mentioned that this had happened many times. But this was different. Everone was watching. This time I looked so small compared to them. I felt powerless. 1 vs. everyone.

I took the metal from Proffesor and turned back to look at the silence facing me. When I took a step forward, two girls gasped and backed away. And this time, I had to let out all the stress tensioning in me. I walk up to the microphone.

"What? Why are you staring at me like that? I'm just like every single one of you in here. And I am the same Grace I was before I had lost my arm. Why do you treat me like I am different? Why do you guys want to make me look weak? I might've lost my arm, but y'all lost something worse. Y'all lost the purpose of your heart. You guys know my name, but none of you know my story. None of you know how it feels to lose a very important part of you. None of you know how it feels to have a lot of people look up to you, to have friends that care for you but then lose all of them cause they prefer popularity over embarrassment. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. The worst part is I have been introduced to real love by someone who I would do anyting for, who I would never live without. The moment I lost my arm, it was all over. The magic was lost. Why? Because he was using me. Because he cared more about popularity than breaking someones heart.." I get a glimpse of Nash who is horrified. In the meantime, I try to hold back my tears which lead to a cracked voice. "You thought you would be embarrassed by loving me, Nash. But this is what embarrassment really is. Instead, I should be the one to be embarrassed by you."

Everyone stares at Nash as I run out of the gym before they all see the tears that are about to flow down my cold cheeks.