What Happened in a Nutshell

So, it was five years ago when Sakutaro and his friends had their culture festival at school. I knew it would be a fun time, and that it would definitely allow him to feel more appreciated in the company of others... but that wasn't the only reason why I thought he should stay.

That same day was his best friend's last day at Kisaragi Academy. Her father had a job transfer, so in turn, she had to transfer schools. Her mother wasn't very thrilled, but it unfortunately had to happen.

What was his friend's name? Perhaps you've heard of her. She was very well liked and popular amongst her peers.

Mayu Suzumoto.

As you can assume, she passed away, too... before Sakutaro, if I may add.

After the festival ended, their class representative--whom I don't know by name, just that she's alive--suggested they all perform this charm. Supposedly, it connects the participants and, if performed correctly, they'll be friends forever. Sounds innocent enough, until you know what happens if you do it wrong, which was most often the case.

I won't go into details, but let's just say Sakutaro lost his mind after finding out Suzumoto died, and he...

It was suicide.

He jumped out of a window, but managed to survive. Afterwards, he retrieved Suzumoto's corpse after showing remorse for his actions, and he was... interrupted.

Some younger gentleman--once again, I don't know him--convinced Sakutaro to actually kill himself. He guilt tripped him, and dropped his knife purposefully, knowing Sakutaro would grab it.

He then stabbed himself in the chest.

And that's all I know about it... but it's horrible to even imagine. I never thought I'd lose him to suicide... let alone, in such tragic circumstances...

It's my fault. I know it is...

I wasn't the ideal father, and I hate myself for it.