Death and Despair, Everywhere

The hospital was much different than I had remembered. I only left for two weeks, and it already went to hell. Zombies were everywhere. As a matter of fact, I didn't see any living patients throughout the entire building. The only two living people I knew about were Yoshinaka and myself.

I had my bat ready to whack any zombies that stood in my way. My goal was to find Yoshinaka and take him down... I needed to stop him from spreading this disease further.

I walked throughout the hospital for a while, but eventually, a female voice called out my name.

"MORISHIGE?! Good God, what has happened to you, Doctor?!"

It took my tired brain a little longer to process who spoke to me, but I figured it out. It was one of the female nurses... but I had forgotten her name. My mental state wasn't all there, after all.

"N-nothing..."

The nurse ran towards me and grabbed my arms. I was so frail, it hurt me more than I can explain.

"AHHHH! Owwwww..."

"Morishige... you haven't... eaten anything!"

"...So what?"

The nurse gasped and took me to a room. She put me down on a bed and told me to lie down. I did as she said, but wasn't very happy. I had come here for a reason, and this wasn't it.

"Please... let me go..."

"No, Morishige! If this continues, you're going to die!"

It was at that moment when I found myself to be really angry at her. She clearly didn't understand anything.

"I don't care if I die! I said let go of me! Are you deaf or something?!"

She stared at me with a look that suggested I was a madman, but I didn't care. She didn't let go of me, though, and inserted a feeding tube into me.

"What are you doing?!"

"The hunger has driven you mad, Doctor. We need to fix it!"

"I'm not mad! I'm sane!"

She chuckled a little and shook her head. What was this woman's problem? Did she not know about the zombies or something?

"A sane doctor wouldn't be malnourished when there's plenty of food for him... and he wouldn't carry a baseball bat."

I felt the irritation rise, and I started yelling at her. At this point, nothing else was working.

"You're the insane one! Look around the hospital! There are zombies everywhere! Death... despair... you can't escape it! And guess what? I don't really want to live anymore. I want death to bring me in. But before I can open the door, there's something I have to do. I have to stop the zombies... I have to stop Yoshinaka..."

The nurse's eyes widened and she froze in place.

"D-Doctor... it was you."

"What was me?!"

She glared at me and slapped me across the face. It hurt, but I gave no reaction whatsoever. I didn't even bother to express how much it hurt.

"YOU caused the zombies! Everyone is dead because of you!"

"...Which is exactly why I need to stop it and... then no one will suffer anymore. Not even me... I'll join them soon... all of them!"

The nurse had been caught off guard, so I took out the tube and exited the room.

Where were the zombies? Where was Yoshinaka? I had to find them...