First Chapter

Location: Arlington Rooftop Bar and Grill

Address: 2424 Wilson Boulevard, Arlington, VA, 22201

Date: 8/24/2013

Time: 1:20 a.m.

Shelby Strazio was a 25-year-old girl with olive skin, hair as black as the night sky trailing down her back, and a personality that was exceptionally friendly. She was raised in New Mexico, grew up in the Navajo Nation. She moved to Virginia for college and to be closer to her older sister. She got a bachelor's degree in graphic design, but her personality was bigger than her intelligence. Shelby was enjoying the company of her fellow Virginia Tech graduates, sipping mixers and talking shit about other people in the bar. A typical weekend night out for Kappa Delta. Dance a little bit, flirt around, cause some attention, get free drinks; a nice night out.

A young dark-skinned man approached her at the bar. He gave her a quick glance and said, "Hey."

She was polite enough to greet him back. She thought he was cute enough to talk to, but had no further interest in him. Her eyes analyzed what he was wearing; a tailored dark suit. It made him stand out from the casually dressed majority.

Shelby's friend tapped her on the shoulder. "Remember the dare?" Shelby giggled. Normally, she wasn't into his type, but she was always curious. She turned to him and said, "Well don't you look like a Prince Charming."

"Thank you." The man smiled handsomely. "It's funny you say that, because you were giving me Pocahontas from Disney."

That made her laugh. "Is that your pickup game, Disney references?"

"Hey, you started it with the Prince Charming. To be honest, I have no game."

"Oh sure, you don't." She thought that the majority of men like him were players.

"Seriously, I am terrible at flirting. I never see an opening."

"Well, that's okay. We can just pretend that you do have game, since we are going with a make-believe fantasy." She cocked her shoulder at him, and that handsome smile resurfaced.

"Okay, so I guess this is the part where I pretend to buy you and your friends some drinks?" He called over the bartender to replenish the cosmos from before. Shelby thought that their conversation was very entertaining.

Another man entered the bar; she wasn't expecting him. He wasn't thrilled, feeling as if he should have been the one talking and laughing with her, and buying her drinks. He started to become envious and devised a way to get her attention. After all, what woman can deny an officer of the law, even if he was middle aged and balding? He had a trick up his sleeve, and he walked over to where Shelby and her new acquaintance were sat. He pulled his badge out and said to the Gentleman, "Sir, I need to see some ID. I think we may have a warrant out for your arrest." The Gentleman was confused; a mix of emotions flashed across his face. Shelby was surprised.

"Is this a joke?" asked the Gentleman.

"Am I laughing?" He then turned to Shelby. "Miss, you better be careful with the likes of these kinds of men." Her eyes bulged. "I'm Officer McKinney, how are you?" He then showed her his badge. She squeaked out that she was fine. "Oh, that's lovely, miss." The bartender gave the girls their drinks. "Be careful with that drink. You never know what could be in that. It could have a date rape drug in there."

The Gentleman interrupted him. "Bro! What the fuck are you talking about?" Officer McKinney opened his jacket, flashed ole standard at the Gentleman, holstered on his ribcage.

"That's what I am talking about, boy. Run along! Play nice! Go on, scat, boy!"

The Gentleman's eyes reddened, his lips quivered from held aggression. Shelby watched him swallow his pride and leave his seat. He was heading for the door; she thought to herself, "Show this asshole."