Chapter 14.

After a few days David was mostly back to his same self, well almost.
He was still bruised up and beaten.
Daniel soon regained the sanity he had lost when David left.
Max seemed happier! Which was great! (Max + happiness= success!)
Todd even got a collar and was a great thing for the kids! They loved him!
He hopped around as happy as can be, occasionally bringing little 'gifts' like dead mice.
Everything was nice, and calm-ish, well, as calm as it could be at camp Campbell.
Currently David was reading as Todd sat on his lap, seeming to read with him.
Todd cuddled up to him.
David didn't notice that someone had walked into his cabin and was slowly creeping up behind him.
David felt two hands grip his shoulders, causing him to yelp out in surprise and caused Todd to jump off David's lap.
David heard a familiar chuckle from behind him and sorta relaxed, realizing that it was Daniel.
"Sorry if I scared you Davey." Daniel wrapped his arms around David with a smile.
David leaned into the touch with a small sigh.
"It's fine." He looked back down at his book.
"Whatcha reading there, David?" Daniel looked down at the book.
"Oh, it's called 'Maximus ride, the Angel experiment'" he didn't look up from the page.
"Oh? Who is it by?" Daniel tilted his head.
"James Patterson." David responded.
"He's a pretty good author." Daniel rested his head on David's.
David only nodded and continued to read his book.
Daniel seemed surprised by the fact David wasn't really paying too much attention to him, but more on the book, and he honestly didn't like it all too much.
Ten minutes passed, nothing had been spoken to each other.
Daniel became impatient and bored as David had done nothing but read his book, he seemed pretty focused on it as well.
Daniel soon became even more bored as another minute went by, deciding to do something he knew would get David to pay attention.
He ran a hand through David's soft hair before he took a tight grip of some of hit and tugged on his hair hard.
"Ow ow ow ow! Daniel let go!" David attempted to get Daniel to let go of his hair.
"What will you do if I don't?" Daniel responded with a chuckle but was soon hit in the face with the book.
"Really? That's all?" He looked at David who was now trying to force Daniel's hand open to get him to let go.
That didn't work.
Daniel found this a bit amusing.
He was soon met with a hard slap across his face, and it actually hurt, quite a bit.
He let go of David and took a step back.
David's eyes widened as he realized what he had done.
"Daniel I'm so sorry I didn't mean to do that!" David apologized quickly.
"I just wanted you to let go and I wasn't thinking, but I didn't mean to hurt you I'm so sorry!"
Daniel chuckled. "There's no need to apologize Davey." He looked over at the councilor before he heard Gwen call out for David.
David sighed and got up, walking out to help Gwen.
Daniel was left with the fox, who was staring up at him.
"What?" He looked at Todd who suddenly darted toward him and attempted to tackle him down.
Daniel rolled his eyes and picked the fox up.
"I'm going on a walk and you're coming with me." Daniel walked out the door, picking up Max on the way as well.
Max actually didn't mind, he kinda let his arms and legs do their own dangle thing.
And Daniel quickly dragged David on this family walk.
_____________________
The four came to a small clearing in the forest and Daniel set the two fluff balls down, watching them both run off.
Daniel walked off to his own little area, and David sat near the flowers.
David would pet Todd whenever he came by, earning a small lick on the hand as a thanks.
He started to make a little flower crown, using purple, white, and blue flowers.
He then heard soft footsteps and turned to see Max, but something was very off.
He didn't look like the sweet boy he got to know.
He looked evil, and his head twitched and jerked to the side.
The other thing was he had the knife stick gripped tightly in his hand.
"Max.. give me the knife stick.." he held his hand out to the thing that stood in front of him.
Max seemed to give it to him before the blade was then driven into his abdomen. It was pulled out, and driven back in twice.
Daniel tackled Max to the ground.
Max thrashed around and screamed out in a voice that didn't sound human.
David was breathing heavily and rapidly, holding his hands over his chest, blood staining his shirt.
Max suddenly tensed up and screamed out, twitching violently.
He went limp before he blinked a few times, and looked extremely confused.
"D-Daniel?? Let go please!" He squirms.
Two people screaming could be heard right next to them.
Both turned to see Jen, and Jasper screaming at each other as Jen had a tight grip around Jasper's throat.
Max and Daniel saw this as an opportunity to go leave.
Max grabbed Todd and Daniel grabbed David, running back towards camp.
David sobbed and trembled in fear, Daniel tried to reassure him that he would be fine.
He lied to himself and David just to comfort David.
He didn't want to hear the heart breaking cries.
David clung to Daniel, sobbing.
He was terrified.
He didn't want to die.

(Ah! New chapter! I hope you like it! I spent a while brainstorming for this one! Also 6k reads??? Thank you all so so much!)