31

Harrison had too many hats. Carrie dug through the top shelf of their closet right beside the door, looking for one of the adjustable ones. After digging for a few minutes, she finally found a white one that would go with her white ESPN shirt and black pants.

Adjusting the hat around her hair, Carrie grabbed her bag, slipped on her shoes, and headed to Bank of America Stadium for the Panthers second preseason game against the Ravens.

➄➈

Harrison found Carrie on the sidelines after he and the team finished warmups. For the preseason, captains like him didn't wear their patches, and were elected each week. Since he wasn't a captain today, he found Carrie talking with a few of the guys.

As soon as she spotted him, she excused herself and walked over to him. "You playing today?"

He shrugged. "Probably not."

"They're not going to let you get in at all?"

"I don't think so."

"I wanted to see you get in."

Usually the starters played a drive or two in the preseason. But with his shoulder, the Panthers were going to take great care in his playing time. There wasn't a need for him to potentially get hurt in a pointless game.

"And I am really liking the blue here."

Today the Panthers were wearing their blue jerseys to go with their normal grey pants and blue socks. "I wish we could wear these more."

They wore white on white the most followed by black on grey. Harrison wished they could wear the blue more than the two weeks allowed as alternate jerseys.

"You gonna take any pictures of me?"

"You're not playing."

"True. But I could model for you."

"No."

"Please?"

Carrie shook her head as this weeks elected captains jogged back to their side of the field. "I'm really liking your new outfit."

She rolled her eyes. "I hate it."

"Why? I think it suits you."

It didn't. Instead of being able to wear what she wanted, Carrie was now required to wear an ESPN polo shirt. She was wearing her white one today. On the right side was the ESPN logo, while her name was on the left. Along with the new shirt came dress pants that weren't comfortable when it came to the North Carolina heat.

"I hate it."

"Well I think you happen to look very sexy in it."

She playfully punched him. "I'm eight months pregnant. No, not at all."

"Whatever you say."

➄➈

Carrie took a few pictures of Todd playing and that was pretty much it. There wasn't going to be much to report on until after the game. It was odd to be standing next to Harrison on the sidelines. The last time he played, the stadium was packed full of cheering fans. Today, there were only a few reporters and photographers on the sidelines, making them look abnormally empty.

"I want to get in," she heard Harrison mutter to himself.

"Then go ask to go in."

The two of them watched as a Ravens receiver caught another deep pass, shredding the Panthers defense.

"And there's no guarantee we're going to be playing four games this preseason."

Every time he said that, Carrie got a little scared. Supposedly one of the worst Atlantic hurricanes in a long time was making its way through Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic right now. Hurricane Katia was what they were calling it. Supposedly, it was supposed to take a turn outward into the Atlantic around Florida, then curve back inland and bulldoze through the Carolinas. It was Monday night. And it was said that this hurricane was going to hit late Saturday night.

"FORD!"

With his helmet in his hand, Harrison ran over to Coach Rivera. "Get out there."

It was third and long for the Ravens. The crowd cheered loudly as Harrison jogged out to join the defense. The rest of the guys immediately formed a blob around him.

No one out on defense besides Harrison was a starter. He looked at the faces of all the guys competing for a roster spot and clapped his hands together. "4-3 in."

The small huddle dispersed. "Todd, watch 14!"

"I got him!"

"David, 63's going right!"

Harrison put his mouth guard in and once again shouted the play. "4-3 in!"

The ball was snapped and he backed up into coverage. They were playing zone, meaning Harrison didn't have a specific man he needed to cover. He covered anyone in the middle of the field.

The Ravens quarterback threw to his receiver being double teamed by Todd and their teammate Captain Munnerlyn. The two of them did a great job of double teaming the receiver. Todd jumped up in front of him and caught the pass for an easy interception.

Harrison was on his way over to block for Todd. First came an offensive lineman that he easily fended off for Todd to get a break down the sidelines.

He easily caught up with Todd and ran side by side with him. They approached three guys coming at them and Todd started to stutter step.

"Keep going! I got them!"

Harrison ran ahead and blocked the first two guys before getting laid out by an offensive lineman. By then, Todd was well past them and heading straight for the end zone.

The crowd cheered for the pick six. Harrison got up and sprinted down to the end zone to give Todd a high five and a helmet slap. "That's how it's done!"