26. Trust

Sunday is ruthless. I hate every passing second and by Monday morning I'm beyond ready to leave the prison I call my house. I skip down the stairs and rush into the kitchen to grab breakfast, finding my parents already seated at the table. "You're rushing out of here pretty quickly today" my mom observes.

"No offense mom but I've been grounded for a week, this is slow" I chuckle as I grab a bottle of Gatorade from the fridge. "I'll see you both later."

"Not too late. I know you're not grounded anymore but we don't want you gone all evening."

"I'll be home" I assure them. "If I'm out past dinner I'll make sure to text. I promise."

"Thank you" my dad smiles. "Have a good day kiddo."

"Thanks dad" I reply swiftly, giving him a kiss on the cheek before turning towards the door. "Bye guys" I shout over my shoulder. I pull open the door and my breath hitches in my throat because leaning against his car on the street is Josh.

"Hey" he smiles softly as I skip down the front steps and move towards him.

"What are you doing here? Trying to get us caught?" I chuckle as I stop a few feet in front of him.

"He got bail this morning" he says bluntly. "He's not too amused with me and I have a feeling that's not good for you" he adds. "I'm dropping you at my brother's and you're riding with Riles today."

"Okay" I nod. "You know this protective thing is kinda hot" I smirk making him chuckle as he rolls his eyes.

"Get in the car" he chuckles as he goes around to the driver's side.

~ 🚔 ~

"So" she begins, "this is the second time he made bail" she says, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Mhm" I hum in agreement. "Look" I sigh, grabbing her hand and resting it in her knee. "The more we mess with him the worse this is gonna get."

"I suppose" she shrugs, squeezing my hand. "So am I gonna have to get a ride with Riley every day now?" she asks. There's no tinge of anger or annoyance in her voice, just adorable amusement at my over-protectiveness.

"As much as I'd like to say yes" I pause to look over at her. "I know you and I know you're stubborn. This is just for today for my peace of mind. As much as I'd prefer you letting Riles drive you every day."

"You aren't gonna make me?" she asks, seemingly surprised.

"Of course not" I shake my head. "You can make your own decisions." We pull up to my brother's place and I look over to find her smiling up at me. "What?" I chuckle, grabbing the key from the ignition.

"I'll get a ride from Riles" she says causing me to quirk an eyebrow at her.

"You will?"

She nods and raises the center console, scooting closer. "Thank you" she says softly as she reaches up to cup my cheek.

"For what?" I ask genuinely confused.

"For letting me make the decision" she smiles brightly before reaching up to kiss me. She pulls away all too soon and gives me a shy smile as she scurries back to her side of the car. "I gotta go or I'll be late. Thanks for the ride."

"Of course sweetheart. I love you."

"I love you too" she replies happily before hopping out of the car.

~ 🚔 ~

"Do you realize you're taking my last name and I'm losing mine?" Riley asks as we drive towards the high school. I laugh from the passenger seat in amusement.