Chapter 23

{Jonathan}

Christine and Chaun had went out to lunch and when I showed up to Christine's apartment, they were still gone.

I wandered around her kitchen, just trying to kill time. I came across something sticking out from underneath papers. There were sticky notes with doctor names and numbers. I picked up the papers. It was a paper for an abortion. I dug underneath the papers and found a pregnancy test. A positive one.

The door opened and I turned around, fuming.

"Are you pregnant?" I asked. Christine gave me a weird look as she set her purse down on the kitchen table.

"No," she replied slowly, eyeing me. "Why?"

"Then what the fuck is this?" I asked, holding out the pregnancy test. Her eyes got wide. I couldn't believe she lied to me.

"What're you doing going through my things?" she demanded, coming over to me and ripping the test out of my hands.

"And abortion papers?" I yelled.

"It's my body," she defended.

"It's my kid!" I shot back. Her ears were getting red.

"You and I both know that we aren't ready to be parents," she told me, her eyebrows furrowing.

"How do you know that? We've never even talked about it!" I argued.

"Exactly! If we were ready, we would've talked about it!" she yelled. I rolled my eyes.

"I may not have been pissed but you fucking lied to me," I said, dropping my voice.

"God forbid I do something for myself, right?" she replied. "You're being such an asshole right now. Just fucking leave."

"What?" I asked.

"You heard me. Fucking go," she repeated, wiping a tear off her face.

"Christine," I said, reaching out to touch her.

"No!" she yelled, backing away from me. "Go. Leave."

I sighed and left. God, I was such an idiot.

----------------

I stepped out of the locker room after game three at home. I should've been stoked. We had just dominated San Jose and took a series lead.

But I wasn't stoked. I was sad, angry, and upset. I was still angry that Christine lied about it. I couldn't get the thought of us being parents out of my head.

I pushed open the doors and saw Christine there. She looked up at me and her eyes turned cold. She excused herself from her conversation with Dayna and Chaun and came her to talk to me.

"Why're you here?" I asked her.

"I always come," she replied.

"So, uh, when is the abortion?" I asked. She looked up at me.

"We need to talk about that," she said, tears forming in her eyes.

Patrick was going out with the team so I took her to my place.

"I had a miscarriage," she told me, her voice cracking. "I was going to keep it and I was planning on telling you after the game."

I was speechless. I wanted to punch myself in the face.

"I'm so sorry, Jon," she said, crying.

"Shhh," I coaxed, pulling her into a hug. "It's okay, babe. It's alright. Everything's okay."

I hugged her and rocked her back and forth for a while.

"You're not mad?" she asked, looking up at me. I shook my head.

"No, I'm not mad," I replied. She smiled and nuzzled her head into my beck and I held her tighter.

"I'm sorry I lied. I just wasn't ready," she explained. I rubbed her back.

"It's okay. I understand where you were coming from."

"You're amazing,"she whispered, kissing my jaw.

"Look who's talking," I whispered, kissing her lips. I felt her smile and tangle her fingers in my hair. Her phone starting ringing, but we kept kissing.

It rang a few more times before she pulled away from me and answered.

"Hello?" she answered. "Greg, now is really not a good time." Greg was her brother. "Wait, you're coming?....Holy shit that's great! I'll text you later, okay. I'm kind of... busy..." she winked at me and I laughed.

"You sounded excited," I laughed.

"Greg and Mark are coming to Chicago," she said with a grin. "Now. Where were we?"

"I believe we were here," I replied, putting my hands under her legs and picking her up. She wrapped her arms around my neck and I pushed her back against the wall so I could put my hands on her face.

--------------

In the morning, I drove to Christine's place so she could ready so we could go out with her brothers. I was super nervous. I went up with her to her apartment.

She had helped me pick out what clothes to wear. Khaki shorts and a Bears t shirt. I sat on the edge of her bed while she changed in the bathroom. She came out in rolled up dark blue skinny jeans, white Vans, and a pale pink v neck t shirt with her hair tied up in a messy, but incredibly cute ponytail.

"Ready?" she asked as she grabbed her aviator sunglasses off the night stand.

"Ready as I'll ever be," I replied as she grabbed my hand and led me out.

We met up with her brothers at Milano's, the best pizza place in Chicago. Thankfully it wasn't too busy.

"Mark!!" she exclaimed as we got out of the car. She ran towards a muscular, tall guy. He smiled and hugged her, picking her up and spinning her around. I heard her laugh as her other brother hugged her.

She led them both over to me.

"Mark, Greg, this is my boyfriend, Jonathan," she introduced with a smile. Both brothers introduced themselves as they gave me hugs. I got the vibe the whole family was a bunch of huggers.

"Hey, you played for Canada," Greg pointed out. I laughed.

"Yes I did," I replied. Christine beamed.

"Congrats on gold, man," Mark said with a smile.

"Thanks," I answered with a smile. I had no idea why I was so nervous. These guys were super cool. But they were still Christine's family.

I knew she was super close with her brothers. If they didn't like me, I'd be gone. And fast.