nitten

"oh no," nez mumbled in a small voice as she sat up in her bed. a pounding migraine was what she was greeted with.

"hey, sis," xavier poked his head in her room. his eyebrows furrowed before he fully stepped into her room. "you're not dressed for school. william's gonna be here to pick us up."

"i don't feel too good, xavier." she whined. "i'm staying home today."

"you know why you don't feel good? because you stayed up all night reading. and now you don't feel good because you didn't get enough sleep." xavier scolded as he pulled his water bottle from his backpack. he sat on her bed and opened the side table drawer to pull out a pill bottle. he spilled two capsules onto his palm before handing it to her, letting her down her medication with his water.

"thank you." nez sighed into her pillow as he tucked the edges of her blankets under her legs.

"you sure you're gonna be okay?" xavier frowned at the sight of her in pain.

"yeah, i'm probably just dying once a month again. don't mind me, it's the devil's work." she tried to make him smile, which worked.

he shook his head in disbelief. "no, not the devil. mother nature, sis. but good try."

"get out of my room and go to school, smart ass." nez pointed to the door and xavier let out a laugh. "have a good day at school xavier."

"i will," he replied.

{ — }

"chris, what are you doing?" william asked chris in confusion. "dude, you literally just told me you liked nez last weekend. if you like her, you should not be hooking up with other girls."

"i found a way to cope." chris said simply. "i just need a distraction. something to push her away from me."

"you're a prick, you know that?" william rolled his eyes at the stubborn boy. "if you wanted to push her away from you, you might as well just hook up with roman szaj again."

"that actually doesn't sound like a-"

"no, please tell me you're not actually considering it." william begged. "do that and you might as well run nez over with your car."

"dude, why do you care so much?" chris asked william.

"because we don't run away from our problems, chris. we either are the problem or we face them. not push people away purposely. you want nez to push you away? why? because you're too scared to tell xavier?" william was quite notorious for putting chris in his place when acting up.

"tell xavier what?" xavier appeared by the side of the car. william looked at chris and chris flipped him off, causing william to raise his hands in surrender. "seriously? left in the dark?"

"nothing, don't worry about it." chris responded, leaning back in the back seat. "where's hennezy?"

"nothing, don't worry about it." xavier responded, opening william's passenger door.

"you're really not gonna tell me?" chris raised an eyebrow.

"you're really not gonna tell me what you're scared to tell me?" xavier retorted as william backed out of the driveway.

"nope, because you don't need to worry about it."

"okay then. are you nez's boyfriend? brother? no? okay, then don't worry about where she is." the b-word made william glance at chris through the rear view window. chris only glared back.

"i'm her best friend." chris scoffed.

"yeah, well, fucking act like it, you prick." xavier folded his arms over his chest as he stared out the window.