Chapter Eight

"Ann Hurry up! We're going to a funeral not a high school prom!" I yelled from downstairs. I've been waiting on Ann for ten minutes and I was getting impatient. Mom and Jo left about five minutes ago. Finally she came running downstairs.

"Okay, I'm ready. The church is not far. Why are  you in such  a hurry?"

"I just want this day to be over. I've been nervous this whole week about this day."

She came and lay her hand on my shoulder. "I know. I can't tell you that I understand what you're going through but I'm here for you honey."

"Thank you." I said with tears in my eyes. She embraced me in a soft hug.

"Okay let's get going." I nodded and we left.

Few minutes later we arrived at the funeral. I met Lydia and Tracy already. A lot of sympathizers were already present. Some came up to me telling me to be strong , and that my dad was a very great man. I even met some family members that I didn't know. I was sitting next to mom and Jo in front waiting for the funeral to start, when Chris and the guys came. I smiled at him. They greeted mom and Jonathan and offer their condolences.

"We better go take our seats." Chris said when I grabbed his hand. He looked at me.

"Please sit with me. I really need you."
I don't know why I said the last four words, but hey he's friend.

He nodded and sat beside me.

The funeral started, and it went on and on,  till the pastor called me up to say a few words.

I didn't know what to say or how to say what I wanted to say. "Hello everybody," I began "as you all know am the daughter of the late Kelvin Walker, and he was a great man. A man whom loved his family and will do anything for them. A man whom was the light of my heart and the joy of my life." I almost burst into tears because I was now cry. I wiped my face and continued. "I-I would have given my life for him if I had to. He was the father any child would wish to have." And with that I left and went to my seat.

Chris took my hand and squeezed it. "I'm proud of you you're very strong. I'll always be here." Through all my tears and pain I manage to smile, at what he said.

"Thank you."

"Anytime, beautiful."

***

I could finally called it a day, no a week, because it was nine o'clock in the night but all my friend's we're here and I was glad. The guys and the girls were getting along pretty well and everybody was having fun,but I still couldn't believe that today was the last time I'll ever see my dad.

I still remember my first day of senior year, I was so excited and he took me to school that day. He said he wanted to be the one to drop me off the first day of senior year. I told him I can take the bus but he insisted and I let him.

Suddenly Chris hand came up to face and wipe my tears I didn't know were present.

"Let's go outside." He whispered in my ear.

I nodded and we both got up from the floor in my room.

"Where are you two going?" Ann asked eagerly.

Before I could talk Chris beat to it.  "We're going to get fresh air."

"Okay bye." Luke wave us out with his hand and they all went back to playing 'would you rather'.

We went out and sat on the front porch stairs viewing our big yard. My dad brought this house three years after he established his furniture company Walker's Wooden. It's a big house with six bed rooms. I remember when we first moved here I was so excited about our new house now I just wanna leave  and never see it again because it reminds me of my dad.