Chapter Five

It was time for me to hit the road and get back on campus. I spent the entire day yesterday with Jo and mom. I tried making them feel better. Jo seemed to lighten up a bit, but mom was awfully quiet. I have to be strong for all of us, though am going through so much because I lost my boyfriend and my father the same week for Pete's sake.

I called Ann and told her. She began to cry immediately. Man.... that girl is more than a friend to me.

After packing additional clothes in my bag. I went down stairs and saw Jo head on mom shoulder on the couch. I hate to leave them like this.

"Mom, Jo I'll be going now."

"You have to go?"

"Believe me Jo, I don't wanna go but I have classes and so do you. I'll be back on Friday for the funeral on Saturday."

He ran and hugged me. I put my bags down and hugged him back. We stood there for about two minutes and I didn't wanna let go of his body before he collapse.

"I'll be back on Friday." I said with tears rolling on my cheeks.

We both look over at mom.

"Mom you're not gonna tell Liz bye?"

"I'll be going to my room now. I'm tired. Bye Liz." She went upstairs.

"Bye mom. Why is she like that to me?"

"Ignore her, she's just pretty tired. Come on I'll walk you to your car." He said taking my bags to out of the house.

"Take care sis. Love you."

"Love you more Jo." I close my car door and started the engine.

I arrived back on campus in the evening and went to our room in the dorm. As I open the door I met Ann on her bed reading what looks like a novel written by Nicholas Sparks.

"Hey Ann." She came and embraced me it took me a few seconds to embrace her too.

"I'm so sorry Liz. How's your mom and brother doing? I know you're not good cus I can tell from your face."

"I bet you do. Jo as you know is a man so he's managing but... Mom is... well she's very depressed."

"Is everything okay with you two
now?"

"No. I shook my head and felt tears forming in my eyes. She won't even hug me good bye. What did I ever do to her Ann? She hates me so badly and I don't know why." I began crying. Ann sat beside me and began rubbing my back.

" I don't think that you're mom hates you Liz. Maybe she just see you as someone who can handle herself and you don't need her anymore."

"Don't defend her like my dad Ann because she was never there for me even from the beginning." I jumped when something came to my mind.

"Ann when my dad was in the hospital, I asked him why does my mom hates me, he said my mom been through  a whole lot of hell. I got furious and ask him why he's defending he said it's not his story to tell. What story could my mom have that's stopping her from loving me?"

"Don't expect me to answer that question Liz, ask her."

"I can't Ann. I'll wait till after the funeral and everything is back to normal."

"Everything can't be back to normal Liz, not with your father not around anymore. You just have to find another time to ask her."

I nodded my head." I will , but I can't do that now."

"OK, I understand now you have to go take a shower cus you're stink."

"I'm not."

"You are. Now go, it's already late I have to sleep now. I got test first thing tomorrow morning."