Chapter Twentyhree

Chris POV

"I love you Liz." I said glancing at her through the window before pulling out of the drive way of her home. Though she couldn't hear me, I know that she knows I love her.

I drove home thinking of Liz every second. She didn't really look happy today, apart from meeting mom and I meeting her dad. Her attitude today was like a gloomy day, that wanted to hide the rain hanging in the clouds by showing a bit of sunshine, but at the same time the clouds of grey kept creeping in. That's how Liz was today, she wanted to act happy and make me think that she's all fine by putting on a big smile. But I know something's wrong and I'll find out.

The drive to my house took me like two hours and thirty minutes because of the speed I was running, which was not above the speed limit though. I finally pulled my car in my usual parking space getting out when James the head of our chauffer came to me.

"Good evening Mr. White. May I take your key?" He said mockingly knowing that I hate it when people refer to me as Mr. White. That's for my dad, not me. I like Chris, just Chris.

"James, what's up with you and you're formal greeting this evening?" I asked him.

James is an elderly man who has been working for us for the past seventeen years. And he's also like a friend to me now then just an employee of my dad's.

"Nothing, I just thought I might annoy you this evening. You seem to be going out a lot these days when you come home. Is there a special someone I should know about?" He asked working his brows.

I laughed and placed one hand on his shoulders. "Yes man there is this one special person. But I'll tell you all about her later." I patted his shoulders. "Right now am tired and just want to sleep."

He nodded letting me be.

"I'll take care of my own key. I told him, jingling the key in front of his face before putting it back when he tried to get a hold of it.

I climbed the stairs walking up to the large front door of my house. Opening the door, I stepped inside and saw Charlotte sitting on the couch. I was surprise to see her not on the phone just.... starring at the empty fire place.

"Hey Charlie, what's up?" I said plopping on the couch beside her and throwing my right arm over her shoulders.

She turned her head to me and I could tell that she'd been crying. Her eyes were swollen and red like the rest of her face.

"Mom and Dad are fighting again." She said with more tears coming down her face. "Why can't they just live like two normal people? I'm tired of this Chris, I just want them to be happy."She said with more tears running down her face.

I pulled her closer to me laying her head in my chest and running my fingers through her hair soothingly.

"Shhh, it's okay. Don't cry everything's gonna be okay." I said comforting her.

"But when? When is it ever gonna be okay?" She asked lifting her head to look me in the eyes.

I didn't have an answer to her question so I decided to find something else to tell her. "I'm gonna go talk to them now. And everything will be okay. Alright?" I told her placing both her cheeks in my palms.

She nodded and I left to go upstairs. I climbed the flight of stairs passing my room and going over to my parents'. That's when the sound of their voices started to be heard.

"What do you expect me to do?! I'm working! Isn't that enough for?!" My dad yelled.

"No it's not! We need you to be a father in your home." I heard mom told him.