Ch. 4

I closed my eyes and held her close to me in a tight embrace as I breathed in her scent that I missed. I pulled her in and closed the door, turning to look at her.

"Oh my god, I can't believe it. It's you." she said with a smile as her eyes glistened.

"It's me."

She chuckled softly and once again threw her arms around me. I hugged her back once more allowing the familiarity to comfort me. She pulled back and she sighed as she looked me over.

"You've changed."

"Please, don't tease me. I know I'm still that thin, wimpy, idiot looking man."

She smiled as she shook her head, "No. You're not. You look...mature, stronger, healthier."

I smiled softly as I nodded slightly. I did feel like those things, but did I really look like it? I personally didn't think so.

I watched Gwen as she smiled some more, shaking her head as if not being able to comprehend the idea that I was alive. That I was here, standing in front of her as if I had never left. I know I felt like that having her in front of me. It was like I never left. I then spoke without thinking.

"Please stay."

She looked at me with what seemed like such sadness. She nodded as she took my hand in hers.

"Of course."

We both sat down, staying silent for a second. It was painful really, so I started the conversation first to escape such awkwardness.

"How are things for you?"

She smiled, "Things are...good. Really good."

I smiled then listening to her voice as she spoke to me of what she had been doing while I was gone. I listened to every word like my life depended on it.

"What about you and Lancelot?" I asked with a smile.

She giggled as she blushed, "We've been doing well. Perfect. I am the happiest I've ever been and I -"

I raised a brow as she stopped, "And you?"

She looked at me and she sighed, biting her bottom lip, "I love him." she smiled.

I smiled, "That's wonderful."

"It is..."

"But?" I asked in confusion.

Could she be doubting herself? I really hoped not.

She looked at me and she shook her head as she played with her fingers, "I can't seem to tell him."

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion making her to continue speaking.

"I can't seem to find the right time and place. Every time I want to say it, something gets in the way. He needs to go to training, he has a hunting trip, or someone walks in on our private time."

I chuckled softly and shook my head.

"Gwen... No matter where you are. No matter the time of day. It will always be the right time for you both. I know he loves you. He was crazy about you since the first time he saw you," I smiled, "And I know things will be magical for you both."

We smiled at one another as Gwen nodded. She played with her hair gently as she sighed in relief to her having spoken.

"Thank you, Merlin."

I nodded, "No need to."

I patted her hand gently.

"Might I ask something?"