Ch. 13

I gasped as I felt the water hit my face. I looked up and saw Thomas standing in front of me with an empty bucket in his hand.

"Time to wake up, sire." he smirked.

"Why...why are you doing this? What have I done?"

Those are the only words that escape my mouth and I realized just how stupid they sound. Of course I know why. Magic. That's what almost every person who has attacked wants. Revenge for taking their freedom of magic. Revenge for killing their family. For not letting them live freely.

Thomas walks around and he stays silent as he does. I say nothing more as I look around, searching for an escape and a way to untie myself. I tug at the rope but it only burns into my skin, making me wince slightly.

"It is your father I want. Well, wanted. I was planning on killing him and frightening you. But then, I saw how fragile you were. After your poor Merlin broke your heart and left you behind with that bastard you call father."

I looked at Thomas and listened to him speak. Remembering once again how Merlin left that day and how it all went horribly wrong between my father and I.

"It was an easy target."

"Look, I am not my father," I spat at Thomas and he raised a brow at me, "I want you to be free as much as you do. For magic to be free and to no longer be a threat to one another."

He watched me before chuckling softly. I furrowed my brows as I heard him chuckle and he shook his head as he walked closer to me.

"The only reason you want that now, is cause of your precious manservant. If it weren't him, you'd be banishing magic and killing everyone of its kind just like Uther."

I shook my head, "That's not true."

He chuckled as he walked away and without another word, he walked out of the small cottage and left me behind, tied up, soaking wet, with Merlin on my mind. What if this was it? What if this is when I die, and I never got to tell Merlin that I love him.

Merlin's P.O.V.

We rode in silence with Mordred guiding us. I kept a burning look on him as we followed, threatening him every now and then that if he was lying, he would regret it. He would ignore me and would continue down the path. I couldn't shake the feeling he was lying to us but everyone else seemed to believe him, even Morgana and she knows him better.

"Merlin."

I turned to face Lancelot and he offered me a gentle smile.

"We will find him. I promise." He whispered.

Promise. It is a big word and a powerful one of you think about it. But he was using it. What if we don't find Arthur? Will he feel he broke the promise? Will he feel guilty? I didn't know the answers, but I did know that Lancelot won't stop searching for him. Just like me.

So I nodded at him and said, "I know. We always find each other."

Because it's true. No matter what, we always end up next to one another, whether we want to or not. He smiled and he nodded and we rode in silence once again until Mordred stopped us all.

"What?" asked Gwaine as he looked at Mordred.

"He's around here. But...not sure how you'll get to him."

Mordred turned around and chanted a spell so quickly neither of us saw it coming. With one wind force, we all fell off our horses. I landed on some rocks, my body aching as I moved.

"You think you could threatened me and get away with it?"

He stood over me and before I could say anything, he spoke another spell and the branch broke about to land on me when it stopped. It hovered over me before knocking into Modred. I let out a breath I was holding in and was helped up by Lancelot. I looked at Morgana.

"Thank you."

She nodded. I looked at Mordred and he smiled at me.

"Emrys... a witch saved your life. What a disgra-"

I watched as he started gasping for air, struggling to breath as I closed my hand slowly. I wanted to stop but something wasn't letting me.

"Where's Arthur?" I asked softly as I loosened my hand.

He coughed and gasped slightly as he looked at me, "I don't know."

"Where is he!"

"I don't know! All I know is he will die. He is destined to die soon. You and I both know that. We know you won't always be with him. Why do you sacrifice so much for him? A mortal! Just because he will be king? Or is love blinding you?

"Oh...it's love isn't it? That's what keeps you pure. If it wasn't, you would've killed me by now." He grinned.

And he was right. It wasn't just my destiny that kept me around. It was my love for him. And he is the reason I stay as pure as can be. The thought of disappointing him or hurting him made me stop and think. But this wasn't it.

"You really don't know where Arthur is?"

He smiled, "No."

I turned to Lancelot and I didn't have to say a word for him to hand me his sword. I looked back at Mordred and used my magic to hold him down. "Then you've proven you're no help and only an enemy."

He chuckled, "No spell?"

"I will not turn to the use of black magic. Goodbye Mordred."

I watched as his eyes widened and then pain flashed through them as I inserted the sword into his abdomen. And I did so slowly to see him suffer. I watched as he light left his eyes, leaving them lifeless and cold. I removed the sword and cleaned it up before handing it back to Lancelot.

Everyone watched. No one spoke a word. No one dared.

I just killed a man.