Ch. 17

I sighed as I shook my head at his words. He just had to say it.

"Why? Why now? After everything, why wait until this moment?"

He stayed silent as he thought of what to say, "I... I don't know. I thought, I just wanted you to know."

"You wanted me to know."

"I wanted you to know," he repeated as he nodded, "I did. Because it's true. I love you, Merlin. I have for the longest of time and everyone knows it. You know it. And everyone, even I know, that you love me too. You love me as much as I love you. Don't deny it."

I had no words in that second. He was speaking the truth. Not only of his feelings but of mine as well. I do love him. And I know I always will, but I also knew that this wasn't the best thing. Just like Lancelot, he is too late.

"Don't deny it," He whispered, "Let us finally get what we want."

"And what is it that we want?"

Our eyes connected and I felt a shiver run through my body. Or was it our spark finally coming to life? I couldn't tell. All I knew was that I was feeling something in this moment. The same thing I felt whenever we'd accidentally touched hands. The feeling I would get when he'd look at me and smile.

The feeling intensified as I watched him step closer. He brought his hand up to my face, gently running his thumb over my bottom lip, and before I could speak, he kissed me. His lips connecting to mine. Oh, how I longed for this to happen. My eyes closed and I melted into the kiss. It was as I imagined it. So soft yet rough. I found myself kissing him back, savoring it. I pulled back and I took a step away from his.

"Arthur... we can't."

He furrowed his brows, "What do you mean, we can't?"

I looked down quickly and sighed softly before looking back up, "If I stay... nothing can happen between us."

He didn't move. He didn't speak. Was I dreaming? No. It was all happening in real life.

"Arthur."

"Are you being serious?"

I nodded. I was afraid that if I spoke, I'd take it back.

"Why?" He asked.

"Because, I love you too," He looked at me in confusion, "And that is why we can't be together. My destiny was to be by your side and help you become the greatest king. You alone. Camelot is to be ruled by you. Not, you and I. There is no me in the future of ruling Camelot. There's only you, and, if planned, a queen. Not two kings. That's not how it works Arthur. Not in our story."

"And what do you know about our story if you won't even give it a chance!" He stepped closer but once again I took a step back.

"You're right," I forcefully chuckled, "You're completely right. But, someone told me we cannot escape our destiny. We can't change it. And Arthur, I already changed yours. I killed Mordred. The man whos destiny was to kill you, to end you.

"If I go against the rules once more, I honestly don't know what to expect. Everything could fall out of place. And I don't want to be responsible for that."

He shook his head as he stepped closer one last time but I didn't move as he grabbed my hand.

"Merlin, who cares about my destiny? I do not want to go through with it if I can't have you."

"Please stop." I whispered.

"No! No, Merlin, we love each other. What's so wrong about that?" He asked me softly as he pulled me close to him.