•Part 4•

February 12th 1967

The wind whisked up her hair as the cold breeze flew causing her to subconsciously shove her hands into her pockets. It was lunch time once again and she felt she had to inform Sheila what had happened just a few days ago. She pushed open the bakery door, ringing a bell as it did, and called for her.

"Good afternoon Amelia" She asked slightly baffled by her sudden appearance "what can I do for you today?" She asked politely.

"I need to talk to you about something" she said gesturing to the back room and she nodded leading the way.

"So," Sheila said undoing her floury apron "what's happened this time?" And smiled.

"I opened the blind" Amelia stated before raising her hands to her cheeks as they flushed.

"See! I knew you could do it!" Sheila beamed springing up from her slouched posture "did anything happen?"

Amelia sighed "well, we sort of just... stared at each other in amazement really" and Sheila nodded accordingly "and then he called me and just talked for a little while".

"What did he say?" She questioned intrigued.

"I wasn't much but it was enough to make me uncomfortable" she sighed and Shelia rolled her eyes "What! I never said that anything like that wouldn't happen" she huffed.

"Amelia! You have got to get used to your feelings for him!" Shelia said and took her cold hands carefully in hers "You two were meant to be" she gazed into her eyes deeply causing Amelia to giggle and turn away.

"Or really! And what makes you so sure?" She said with a remanence of laughter.

"I just know okay," She said leaning back to her original position and shrugged "The way you two just... understand one another. It's something truly special".

Amelia looked off to the side not wanting to admit that Sheila was right and looked at her watch quickly.

"Well thank you for your compliment but I really must press on" she said standing from her chair.

"No problem, but promise me one thing." She said raising her boney finger.

"If I do, will you just give me my pasty and let me go?" She smiled and raised an eyebrow.

"Yes now listen," she said looking at her seriously once more "do hold back what you truly feel" and Amelia nodded. Shelia handed her the pasty and she was off in a heartbeat.

Was this going to happen every time she went to Sheila? Would she always gain the courage to listen to her gut but then end up being too afraid?

After quickly finishing her lunch, she arrived back at her office and got straight back to work. It was only two hours later when her phone suddenly rang. It was unusual for someone to call her without being told by Debbie and she deducted that it must be a relative of so sort. She wrapped her fingers around the receiver and placed it to her ear.

"Good afternoon," she called down the line and smiled without noticing.

"Hello Lia" Paul's voice rang and her smiled dropped instantly being taken off guard by his familia tone.

"Are you in need of my assistance?" She smirked even though they couldn't see each other.

"Yes," He said surprising her.

"And what is that may I ask?" She said standing from her seat and plucking the unknown courage she had to open the blind once more.

"Look outside" he stated and before he knew it, they were making contact once again.

She pulled at the cord, holding the phone between her shoulder and left ear, and revealed his figure gazing at hers too. He held his guitar in the air, the very one he used to write all the amazing and infatuating lyrics about Amelia.

"I see" she said placing her hand on the window and peering through.

"Just have a listen to this," Paul said placing the phone on his lap as he played a tune that was definitely for her.

The plucking from his smooth fingers and the sound of his left foot tapping caused the feelings to rise back to her throat, just like they did a few days previous. She stared, startled by his presence and the music, falling back into the pit she had barely climbed out of. It baffled her how small things could trigger huge and overwhelming emotions. A tear pricked at her eye and that was her queue to close the blind again and return back to reality. It was all becoming too really again. She couldn't possibly trust what would come later if she took it any further. However, she did feel slightly rude for not even bothering to say goodbye.

What was wrong with her?

She placed her head in her hands and sighed trying to recollect herself before continuing her article.

***

The following day, her telephone rang abruptly again knowing instantly who was on the other side. She let it ring out, as much as she didn't want to, and ignored the sound. The same thing occurred everyday in the afternoon for the rest of the week.

Finally, she became frustrated with the noise and unplugged the communication device entirely meaning no one, not even her parents, could contact her. She made her way down to the main desk where she found Debbie filling some paperwork as per usual.

"I've unplugged my telephone for the time being so could you let all of my contacts know that they will have to call through your landline please" she informed her and Debbie nodded following her orders.

She briskly walked up back to her office. She concluded that Paul was just becoming another distraction and gave her a better reason to reject him. Amelia couldn't lie, she did feel proud of herself for having authority over her feelings but she felt she was braking Sheila's promise. Even though she believed she was trusting her gut decision, she couldn't help but feel as if there was something more.

Something, deeper that was lurking in the fog.