•Part 49•

30th January 1969

It was a new year and the past two months had involved Paul desperately trying to cling onto any life that was left with The Beatles. He preposed a concept of a new project titled "Get Back" which involved rehearsing, recording, and then eventually performing a live set. This would then lead into the making of the album "Let It Be". He missed performing live terribly, although the others seemed less enthusiastic, but they continued with the project. However, when Paul thought tensions were being lifted, Lennon had sunk deeper into his drug addiction and was now hold to heroin which was starting to have damaging affects to the bands work and their friendships. Harrison had also ventured off occasionally to work with other artists he had befriended during the recording for their previous album, such as Eric Clapton and Bob Dylan. But what hurt Paul the most during this time of struggle was the personal criticism he was receiving from the others. Frequently, Lennon and Harrison would complain of Paul's controlling nature. As much as he tried to avoid this, he had a clear direction for the group and was itching to reignite the same passion they once had in their early era of music. He was also a natural leader and often found it difficult to take on other people's ideas. Paul began to question whether a solo career was on its way.

But the boys couldn't stop now. It was time for their rooftop concert and Paul was somewhat excited at the fact he was playing to an audience once again. It was a rather spontaneous ordeal, with the band only deciding to play just days prior. The rough plan was for them to record a number of takes for 5 songs - Get Back, Don't Let Me Down, I've Got A Feeling, One After 909 and Dig A Pony.

Paul was getting ready in their bathroom when Amelia went to check up on him. He was slumped forward leaning on the wash basin and looking down towards it.

"Hey, it's going to be alright Paul" she said placing a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"You think so?" he said, now doubting whether this was a good idea.

"Come here" she said pulling him into an embrace.

She then stood back and began to fumble with the tie around his collar.

"All you need to do is relax" she told him as she carefully removed the tie from his shirt and placed it in his pocket.

She opened up his collar and revealed more of his chest.

Paul smiled down at her, "Thank you" he said giving her a kiss.

"Now, we should probably leave soon" she said widening her eyes excitedly.

"You're right" he said and they made their way to the car that was waiting outside for them.

"You look absolutely delightful by the way" he said wrapping his arm around her waist as they walked out the door.

Amelia blushed a little and rested her head against him briefly as a quick a discrete thank you. It wasn't long before they were all ready to perform. Amelia sat off to the side of the roof huddled next to Yoko, Maureen and Pattie. It was bitterly cold, but the combination of anxiousness and excitement kept her mind off the temperature.

"Ok, are we good to go boys?" Paul called looking around for assurance.

They nodded and smiled timidly. Paul quickly flew his eyes towards Lia and she grinned at him, increasing the thrill to play in front of her once again.

As the boys played, it was clear there was a sense of restlessness amongst them. Still, they sounded impeccable as usual and Amelia thoroughly enjoyed the performance. She was tapping her foot along and smiled at Paul when he looked at her every so often. Paul noticed that none of the other girls were nearly as engaged as Amelia was, and he felt grateful that he had found someone who had as much a love for music as he did. He was so incredibly proud of her and admired her determination to continue her career in music. Paul thought that perhaps this could be a new route for him to turn down.