Chapter:- 28

The rough, cold winter air send chills on her body as she took off her hospital gown. She stood by the window basking in the fading sunlight. She sighed heavily looking out. Time had flashed by her eyes in a way that she never wanted to go back. There was no beginning nor end, and the day and night flowed in such hurry that she couldn't make out. The hospital had become her second home. Where the outside world was foreign to her.

    She had been sleeping in an empty ward along with some other doctors. But the sleep was no longer than a quarter of an hour.  She had to awaken by the sound of the phone which placed on another side of the room.

  Dhara hurried to the patient who had been screaming in a pain of his stomach ache. She gave him a pain reliever and walked to the elevator. Dr Aimen who had been working with her from while has just come when he gazed dhara from top to bottom. She hadn't noticed him and absentmindly press the wrong button.

"You look like a mess." Dr Aimen said pressing the button again.

"Thanks, it's more like hell." she agreed.

"Take plenty of rest." She nod as he walked out.

"And yeah, I'm sure you didn't hear it. So make sure to attend tomorrow's meeting early in morning." She watched him disappeared down the corridor.

Adhiraj was seating by the window. Looking up the moon. It was as if he was lonely. He wasn't going to sleep again tonight. He sighed on the thought of cold bed and sleepless night without her. He was hoping to get in touch with dhara. He wanted to know how she was doing. And just he wanted to see her.

As he was making his way to bed his phone rang. Adhiraj ignored it and took out pillow cover. After changing in a new one. He rested his back on the pillow and closed his eyes. He gave a quick glance at his phone. It was from dhara.

"She called him." He thought.

As he was ready to call her back. His phone vibrated. He quickly picked it up.

"Hey!." he heard her faltered voice.

"Hey!" he replied. Quickly holding the phone on the other hand.

"How's everything there?"

"Fine. Have you been in surgery?"

"Yeah. Twice. Two different car accidents. One was in pretty bad shape. An oldie and a boy about sixteen. Maybe seventeen."

"Are they going to make it?

"I guess one of them will !!"

An uncomfortable silence fell between them. One that adhiraj instantly recognized. This is how dhara operated these days. She'd make the first move by simply dialling his number or leaving text message. Then they'd have some formal exchange. But then nothing. Nothing but a silence as she waited for him to initiate the complex dialogue.

"I'm sorry for leaving in between our dinner."

"Its okay. Your job comes first."

"Dr. Dhara there is a patient I'm unable to handle. Please help me." Adhiraj heard it and sighed heavily.

After the days of trying. They were now talking to each other like before. But It's all ruined.

"I shouldn't have picked her call." He thought.

"I should be finished up here in a couple of hours." She informed him.

"Are you coming home straight."

"Yeah, I guess at late night."

"I'll be waiting. We need to talk."

"Yeah, I have many things to say too."