Chapter 6🥀

Jongin

If I thought yesterday's happening and waking up next to each other had made him more open towards me, I was horribly wrong. I had made breakfast while Soo was taking a shower and we fell back in our old behavior, which meant that I wasn't very warm towards him and he didn't say much. I glanced up from my phone and saw he was eating slowly while looking out of the window. He seemed to be deep in thoughts and I wondered what he had seen when he panicked in my bed yesterday. Somehow getting rid of him wasn't my main priority anymore and something was holding me back.

He started chuckling so I turned my head to watch the scene outside my window and noticed it was my neighbor, other known as Chanyeol. He was holding a pile of books high enough to reach his chin and every time a book fell off, he bend down to pick it up and another book fell. We both watched him for a few moments before I realised they were my books. I stood up to open the door and glared at him. "Yah, what are you trying to do?"

Chanyeol smiled sheepishly, "I remembered you told me to bring back the stuff I borrowed and so here I am."

"Get in you idiot." I held the door open for him and walked outside to pick up the fallen books before following him inside again.

He placed the pile on the table and suddenly seemed to notice Soo. He grinned at me after examining the guy sitting at the table. "I knew you had a thing for big eyes."

It took me a moment to realise what he meant and felt my cheeks heating up. I pulled at the collar of my shirt and faked a cough, "It's not like that."

"Oh in that case." He turned his face to Soo again and smirked, "I'm Chanyeol, but I listen to more names. Just call me whatever you want. I prefer baby."

"Okay, that's enough." I pulled him away from the table and placed the books I was holding on the pile. "Thanks for the books."

"Hey, don't be like that. I thought you said it was not like that." Chanyeol complained. "You don't even let me say hello."

"That I'm not dating him doesn't mean I'm gonna let you try." I shot back and crossed my arms. "Besides, you were being a creep again."

"Me? A creep?" Chanyeol asked and his mouth dropped in shock. "Ouch."

"It's true anyway." I glanced at Soo, who was watching us with an amused grin on his face, and huffed. "I'm pretty sure he wasn't impressed Yeol."

"You were not?" Chanyeol asked him and pulled a sad face.

Soo chuckled softly, "it was cheesy." 

"See?" I threw my hands in the air and turned to look at Chanyeol, but then Soo said, "but also kind of cute." 

Chanyeol smirked triumphantly at me and I rolled my eyes. "Okay that's it. Out. Now." I pointed at the door and he pouted slightly before walking towards it. He turned around and made a telephone of his hand, holding it against his ear and mouthed the words, 'call me.'

"Idiot," I murmured before closing the door behind him. 

"I know right," Soo agreed. "I don't even have his number, how am I supposed to call him?" 

I faced him and frowned, "not funny. Now put on your shoes or we'll be late."

~

A loud bang caught my attention and I quickly stood up to look at where it had come from. Once I noticed Soo was kneeling down I walked over to him and saw a vase in pieces.
He looked up at me with big eyes and opened his mouth to say something, but I cut him off.

"What did you do?!" I had raised my voice unintentionally but didn't notice his shoulders slightly jerking up. "I told you not to touch anything!"

Soo turned his face away, "I'm sorry. Hayoon asked me to-"

"Hayoon asked you to break it?" I asked sarcastically. "I didn't bring you here for this, aren't you already a burden enough?"

"I am sorry. It slipped out of my hands." His eyes started glistening and I felt a sudden pang in my chest. "I'll clean it up." He reached forward and before I could stop him he had taken a piece in his hands.

"Leave it," I told him but he shook his head and picked up another piece, sliding against one with his palms. He hissed and immediately dropped the ones he collected in his hand.
I kneeled down next to him and took his hand in mine. "I told you to leave it."

"But it's my fault. I really am sorry. I just wanted to help." He looked at me while talking and bit his lip.

I sighed, "I know. But you should never just pick them up."

He kept silent as I wiped the blood away with my thumb. "Ask Hayoon for a bandaid while I clean this up, okay?"
I smiled at him, hoping it would soothe the guiltiness he was feeling. "Don't worry about it."

He nodded slowly before pulling his hand back and standing. "I am really sorry."

"I know that. Now go." I watched him walk towards Hayoon's office and stood up to get the broom.

The rest of the day he didn't say a word to me and I started to think he was mad at me or scared. I didn't like it cause it looked like he was gonna stay by my side for a while and we better could make the best out of it.
I didn't try to push him into talking about it and so we ate dinner in silent as well.
I decided to break the uncomfortableness and said, "I have a deal."

Soo looked up from his plate, spoon close to his mouth. "What?"

"I won't ask about your home anymore, but you have to attend school again." It sounded weird to my ears but somehow I was convinced this was gonna work.

He continued eating and for a moment I thought he was ignoring me, but then he replied with, "do you want to get rid of me?"

I was surprised by his words but then realised it was quite a logical thing to ask. "No. School is important, isn't this your last year?" It was true. I didn't want to get rid of him. A part of me was turning towards the point I just wanted him to be safe and happy. "You shouldn't throw away your life like that."

His expression turned bitter, "you sound like my mom. Don't waste your time, be smart and careful. All she did was waste things. She wasted everything, pulling me down with her. Ruining everything... I'm sorry. For the second time today."

"Soo... I know you don't want to talk about it, but you can't stay here with me forever and walk away from everything."

Without a word he stood up and laid down on the couch, curling up like a ball. I sighed and walked over to him, kneeling down next to him. He pressed his eyes closed so he didn't have to look at me and my heart sank. "You don't know anything," he murmured.

"But you won't tell me either," I replied softly and brushed some strands of hair from his forehead. He opened his eyes and stared at me. "Just think about it. I can't force you to do anything, but isn't your mother wondering where you are now?"

A tear escaped his eye, "she won't be wondering about anything anymore."

I wondered what he meant with that while wiping the tear away with my thumb. "Just think about it, okay?"

"I will."

"Good." I stood up and touched his hair before walking away. He probably wanted some space right now, so I went to do the dishes.

That night the only thing I could think about was Soo.