Chapter 7🥀

Kyungsoo

The rain was thumping against the window as the dark sky was lit up by lightning. A small shock travelled through my body and I quickly got underneath the blanket that was still draped over the couch from the previous night. If there was one thing I didn't like, it was thunder. It brought back bad memories and I didn't want to think about them.
It was around four in the evening and Jongin had been busy typing away on his laptop and making phone calls. A delivery had gone wrong and he needed to fix it on his free day. I had picked a book from the pile that was still on the kitchen table and read until the weather had taken the form of a thunderstorm.
The loud bangs accompanied by flashing lights had scared me to the point I was in the position I am now. I pressed my eyes closed and let the warmth of the blanket distract me. I took a deep breath and didn't notice the footsteps coming my way. The blanket was suddenly pulled up at one side, showing my face, and Jongin looked down at me. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." I wrapped it around my shoulders to show him I was telling the truth, but flinched as soon as the next bang echoed through the room, making him chuckle. I glared at him, "It's not funny."

"Of course not. Mind if I sit next to you?" Without waiting for my answer he pushed me aside a bit and took a seat. "I'm done and bored, wanna do something?"

"Like what?" I asked and put the blanket on my head again, letting my face uncovered this time.

"Want to watch a movie?" Jongin got up again and kneeled in front of the tv to look at the dvd's underneath it. "How about this one?" He showed me the cover of A Tale Of Two Sisters, "it's quite scary."

"I heard of it but never watched it," I admitted and already felt unsure about the movie. I wasn't really fond of scary ones.

He put it in the player and said, "I'll get something to drink."

I waited for him to return as the small video above the selection kept replaying, preparing me for the real movie. I bit my lip as I looked away from the screen to watch Jongin in the kitchen. I found myself staring at his body and quickly focused back on the tv. I thought back at the night he had hold me in his strong arms and sighed. I couldn't remember the last time someone hugged and tried to comfort me and it stung. This stranger could make me feel safe and yet my own family coulnd't. They didn't even try.

Jongin returned with two mugs steaming hot chocolate and sat down next to me again. I placed some of the blanket over his legs and he smiled at me before starting the movie. I kept stealing glances at him and ended up shamelessly staring. He was so focused on the screen he didn't notice me. I wondered how old he was. He definitely was older than me but not with a lot of years. Although I won't admit it yet I Ioved how he looked completely different when his hair almost hung in his eyes or was slicked back. It was interesting. His eyes were so warm and comforting, not to mention his full lips or deep voice that got higher when he was excited or angry. I watched how he folded his hands around the mug and imagined how warm they must feel against my cold skin. For the first time I realised I wanted him to make me feel safe and solve all my problems, but who was I kidding? He wanted me to leave as soon as possible and he probably wouldn't miss a single thing about me. I was nothing more than a burden.

At the same time I turned my head to look at the movie, the woman looked underneath the cupboard in the kitchen and saw the face of a child. I screeched loudly and covered my face with my hands, pressing my head against Jongin's shoulder. He chuckled, obviously amused with my behaviour and placed one hand on my hair, stroking it gently. "It's just a movie Soo."

"I know that," I murmured. "It was unexpected."

"I told you it was quite scary." He reminded me and smiled as I peeked through my fingers.

"Not helping." I whined but immediately stopped as Jongin swung his arm around me. The same warm feeling that I had felt when he held me that night spread through my body. I felt my cheeks heat up from the feeling inside of me and didn't dare to look up.

"Does this help?" He asked and laughed, making me wonder if he was teasing me. I didn't push him away though, it was way too comfortable to break it unless he was the one doing it. "Soo?" He spoke as I didn't answer. "Are you okay?"

"I'm perfectly fine," I replied, even though it was more to assure myself. "I'll just stay like this until it ends."

"Why would you do that?" He moved his arm so that he could press his hand on the side of my head. "Should I stop it then?"

I didn't want to tell him I liked to be close to him like this more than watching a horror movie and so I said, "it's fine."

"You sure?"

"Yes. I'm a bit tired anyway," I lied and closed my eyes, shifting a bit to sit in a more comfortable position.

"Didn't sleep well?" To my disappointment he pulled away to look at me. "Did something happen?"

I wasn't sure what he meant with that so I just shook my head. He nodded and turned to watch the movie again. I shivered slightly and pulled the blanket tighter around me. I wondered what he felt when he was around me. Probably nothing. I sighed and looked down at my hands. The blood had faded and they were as clean as the day before it all happened. I slowly got deeper into my thoughts, not noticing the way Jongin pressed his knee against mine while his eyes were glued to the screen. I kept replaying different scenarios in my head and when the movie ended Jongin shook me softly out of my trance, saying he was gonna make dinner. I nodded and watched him take out the dvd, putting it back in it's box, before going to the kitchen.

~

I was laying on my back, looking up at the ceiling when I couldn't stand the thought of being alone anymore. I got up from the couch and grabbed the pillow, taking it with me to Jongin's room. I hoped he was already sleeping so I could sneak in but when I opened the door, he was reading a book. He looked up and eyed the pillow in my hands, raising his eyebrows in a silent question.

"I couldn't sleep," I explained. It wasn't the whole truth but also not a lie.

"Okay then," he replied, giving me permission to join him, which I did. The bed was much softer than the couch and it felt even more safe. Jongin placed the book on the nightstand and turned off the light.

"I thought about what you said," I started and continued as he kept silent. "I'll go to school tomorrow."

"You sure?" He asked, obviously surprised. "I mean... that's good."

"I need you to promise me one thing though."

"Which is?"

"That I can come back here after." I glanced at him and noticed he was looking back at me.

"I promise."