Medal of Valor

The 21st of February, 2014

"Nikki! I didn't expect to be seeing you," Lucinda said with a warm smile before looking behind her daughter to see Harry, "And you've brought Harry. Is your father with you two as well?"

"Well, you see, Mum," Nicolette started.

"Why don't we go into the living room to speak?" Harry suggested.

"Oh, yeah, sure," Lucinda said before moving aside, allowing her daughter and friend into her home.

Nicolette had sat on the center of the couch, and Harry on the adjacent love seat. Lucinda sat between the two.

"What's going on? Why are you two so quiet?" Lucinda asked.

"Mum, it's about Dad," Nicolette said softly.

"What about your father?"

"Well, Dad was out of the country on a business trip and, there was a bit of a, serious incident."

"What kind of incident, Nikki?"

Nicolette didn't know what more to say to her mother, even now. So, rather than stumble through her words, she pulled the Kingsman Medal of Valor from her blazer pocket.

Lucinda drew a quick breath at the sight of the medal.

"Nikki, what's this mean?" Lucinda asked, her voice starting to shake.

"This is a, physical token of, one favor. The nature of the favor, can be, anything you want it to be Mum. You just need to call, the number," Nicolette paused, her voice shaking, "The number on the back, and say the phrase, 'Queen Guinevere,' and they'll know it's you," Nicolette finished, tears starting to drip down her cheeks.

"Nikki, please tell me that this is all a farce," Lucinda said softly, her own voice shaking.

Nicolette looked up from the medal to her mother, "I wish it was Mum," Nicolette paused again, trying to draw a proper breath, "But, I wouldn't have brought 'Uncle' Harry if it was."

"All of us at Kingsman are deeply sorry, Lucy," Harry said, taking one of Lucinda's hands between his two.

Lucinda let out a proper cry over this gesture, "James! No, James."

Nicolette wiped away the tears that sat on her cheeks and hung from her jaw. She gave a quick sniffle before she started to speak again, "But this is why I brought this here for you."

Lucinda looked at her daughter, and at the medal in her child's hands

"Does Ben know?" Lucinda asked through tears.

"Not yet," Harry answered for Nicolette, "She wanted you to know first."

Lucinda continued to silently cry for a few moments more before she said anything else, "I want you to give that medal to your brother, Nikki."

"Are you sure, Mum?" Nikki asked, her voice still a bit thick from crying.

Lucinda simply nodded.

"Would you like either of us to stay here with you, Lucy?" Harry asked.

Lucinda shook her head, "No, not tonight. Just, let me be."

"If you're sure, Mum," Nicolette said, standing from her seat, "You know how to reach either of us if you need someone."

Harry stood after Nicolette and gave Lucinda's hand one last squeeze before releasing it and moving to leave with Nicolette. Once the two were at Harry's car, they started back into London.