The Big City

The city moves around you and you stand watching the seven men before you splash in the fountain. 

This is your third stop on your whirlwind tour of the big city. You live in the suburbs so you have plenty of opportunity to come and visit but Yugyeom has been busy for the past years and you want to show him the sights.

The short drive into the heart of city, you spent nestled between Youngjae and Mark. You occupied your time arguing with Youngjae over the best Disney movie to date. He says Frozen but you are adamant that it's The Lion King. the music was turned up loud and spirits were high. You could almost forget about your mess of a family. From there you went to the museum to take photos with sculptures. Although it ended up with BamBam making inappropriate comments at the nude statues and you all laughing. As you exited the building, you saw some kids playing in the clear water of the fountain and like children themselves, the boys rushed over and jumped in. Here you are now.

Coming back to the present, you notice someone sneaking up to you. You were so deep in thought that you didn't see Jackson scuttle up to you. Before you know it, you're thrown onto his back and your screaming and fighting, while everyone around you laughs. Your heart rate picks up due to your proximity to him and you're embarrassed to feel your core tighten as his hands grip your thighs. Suddenly, you'r thrown into the cold water.

"Jackson!" You scream, wiping water from your eyes and you lunge at him but he doesn't budge, just stands there laughing. You're pressed against his lean body and he looks down at you. Lifting a hand to your face, he moves a wet strand of hair from your eyes. 

"Look at you, Princess. Look who's all wet." The double meaning doesn't escape you and does crazy things to your body. But you turn away, becoming increasingly aware of the other's eyes.

"Hey! Get out of the fountain!" A guard yells, saving you from facing the other guys. So you all wade through the cold water and climb out. It's a beautiful day, the sun beaming down so it won't take you long to get dry. The nearby patch of grass provides the perfect space to spread out and get dry. You stretch your legs out in front of you and rest your hands beneath your head. Luckily the t-shirt and jacket you're wearing aren't too see through, so you won't be flashing anyone today. Slowly, you find yourself drifting asleep, the splashing of the fountain and singing birds provide the perfect soundtrack. The sun heats your body in all the right places.

You lose track of time and are nudged awake by JB, who laughs at your sleepy expression. You sit up and look around. The colours around you pulse and hurt your head so you give your eyes a second to adjust to the light. The others are sat up and by the looks of it, they fell asleep as well.

"Who wants ice cream?" Mark asks, pointing at a kiosk several metres away.

We all pipe up and chorus our approval. Mark, Youngjae and Yugyeom stand to order and BamBam and JB head back to the park toilets. 

That leaves you with Jackson.

Remembering your intimate moments over the past 24 hours, you find it hard to look at him but have to do something to ease the awkward silence while you wait for the others to get back. You turn to look at him to see him on his side, watching you, head resting on his hand. 

You shift uncomfortably under his gaze.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" You ask.

"Because you look pretty in this light." Jackson replies plainly, as if he didn't just compliment you. "Has anyone ever told you you're beautiful?"

Clearing your throat, you ask skeptically, "where is this coming from, Jackson?"

"Answer the question," he says.

"Um no, i guess." Your head tilts to the side in confusion.

He speaks his next words so softly, that you almost don't hear him. 

"Not even your parents?"

Your body stiffens.

"Tell me."

At his command, your tongue unfreezes and you find the words slipping out of your mouth.

"Of course they did. What parent hasn't told their child they're beautiful. It's just... it's just that I used to try and make myself look the best, do well in the school just to pull their attention off each other. They were always arguing, I thought that they would..." You swallow the lump in your throat. "...notice me."

Jackson doesn't say anything.

After your admission you don't think you'd want him to.

But when he does speak, his voice is low.

"My mum used to parade my around as her trophy son. Her eyes were never off me. Always telling me what to wear and what sports to play. It was suffocating. But i loved her and wanted to make her happy. In the end, look where I am. I am happy beyond belief." 

You and Jackson share a smile and you feel the space between the two of you close, just a little bit. You don't speak.

The others arrive back with the ice creams and you set out to devour the mint choc chip flavoured heaven. Around you words and being thrown but you're content to just sit and listen, take in the atmosphere, being here with them.

"Alright. We've got two hours left before we have to go back to the hotel for a conference call. What does everyone want to do?" Mark barks at you all. 

Conscious of the fact that you'll be staying with them for the next few days and don't want to smell, you speak. "I need to get some supplies." Blushing, you wait for an answer but don't expect two voices to pipe up.

"I'll go with you." Yugyeom says just as Jackson says "I'll help."

As much as you like Jackson's company, you want to spend time with your best friend. 

And he does owe you a milkshake.

"That's ok Jackson. Yugyeom and I should be ok." The disappointment on Jackson's face when you say this takes you aback and you rethink your words.

But before you can speak again, Yugyeom stands and moves over to you, throwing himself down beside you and swinging his arm over your shoulders.

The butterflies in your stomach kick off and you turn to him and smile. His beaming grin that he gives you is endearing and you know you made the right choice. 

For a moment you forget where you are and who you're with.

"Ok... Well," Mark claps his hands and that brings to back to reality. "Lets meet at the car in two hours."

You're all in agreement. 

Standing, you brush grass off your sticky clothes and feel a hand on your leg.

"Help me up? I'm weak." Yugyeom smiles at you and you're helpless you resist. So you grab his outstretched hand and heave him up. The top of your head barely reaches his chin and he towers over you.

Aware of eyes on you, you turn involuntarily and meet Jackson's heated gaze. How does he make you feel this? Your breath hitches and the butterflies speed up, causing a tornado in your belly.

You don't have time to analyse your feelings because Yugyeom is tugging at you hand. So you turn away from Jackson.

You and Yugyeom walk towards the road but when you look back you see Jackson joking around with the others guys. As if sensing you looking, he turns back to look at you.

That's the last thing you see before your best friend tugs you round the corner.