Sleep Well

You toss and turn, unable to comfortably close your eyes. All you can see is your father the day you won the spelling-bee. He sat in the front row, clapped and actually looked proud. Mom wasn't there but dad always was. He'd make sure everyone knew that you were his daughter. How you used to stand there and beam, happy to be in his orbit. Little did the other parents know that when you both got home, he'd send you to your room to study until tea time when he'd drill you on what you'd learned. At first, you liked it. You were twelve after all. But when Yugyeom asked you to go to his house for the first time, you immediately said no, knowing that your dad would want you to study. Yugyeom didn't speak to you for a week. In the middle of recess, you walked over to him and asked why he was ignoring you. He accused you of making excuses but you told him, honestly, that your dad wanted you to study. It was his response that took you breathless. He hugged you to him, right in the middle of the playground, and told you to come over whenever you wanted. From that day, you would watch the others in your class go home with each other to play video games and watch TV, wondering why you weren't like that.

The sheets of the bed crinkle and rustle as you sit up, holding your head in your hands. You look over at Jackson.

Luminous eyes meet yours and your heart jumps our of your chest

"For gods sake Jackson, you scared me." You place a hand on your breastbone and breath deeply. When Jackson doesn't say anything, you turn to him. "You can't sleep?"

He sits up and stretches, and the sheets fall to his waist. Jackson never told you that he slept shirtless. You went to sleep before him so you didn't have a chance to reprimand him for it. All you can see are the shadows created by his muscles but that's enough.

"I could ask you the same thing." He says. You both sit in silence until Jackson quietly asks, "seriously, why can't you sleep?"

You sigh, turning the thought of lying to him over in your head. It doesn't win though.

"Just thinking about my dad. If I made the right decision," you admit to him. Shaking your head, you look at him in the eye. "Now you. What's keeping you up at night?"

Jackson doesn't miss a beat. "You."

That takes you aback. Frowning, you try to spot any sign that he's joking on his face but it's too dark to see clearly.

"You, and going back to China on Sunday," he carries on. The one thing you take from that sentence is that he's leaving in two days.

"Why are you nervous about that? You're going home, aren't you?" You ask him, still feeling more than slightly flustered.

Now it's his turn to sigh. "Yeah but... I move around so much. It's hard to know where home is."

The side of your mouth turns up in an understanding smile but you know he can't see it. Where is home at the end of the day?

You both sit in silence, letting your confessions hang in the air between you.

"I was telling the truth, you know. I was thinking about you." Your head spins to him at his words but he's not looking at you. He's looking forward. "About when I first met you. You were sixteen and you first saw Yugyeom in a year and a half. You came running up to Yugyeom, threw your arms around his neck and he clutched you to him. I thought "that. That's what home is.". Then you let go of each other, turned to us and you smiled through your tears. Do you remember? We went for that walk in the park and you played soccer with us. You and I were sent off to get drinks. It was the first honest conversation I'd had with a girl for a while and you made me laugh. But then your phone rang, you picked it up and then said you had to leave. So you did. Yugyeom was crushed."

All you can while he talks is watch him. His side profile, the slope of his nose, the pout of his lips, you memorise it all.

"I remember thinking that you were a bitch to leave him." That takes you by surprise and you open your mouth to protest but he continues. "That you had everything and took him for granted. I thought about you for three years. Listening to him on the phone, talking to you then hearing his groan when you had to cut the call early. But I still thought about you. Then you hugged me in the dark, and I felt at home. I could see why Yugyeom kept coming back to you."

Your breath is taken from you as he speaks and you struggle to find any words to say, torn between wanting him to stop and wanting him to continue. Jackson turns to face you once again.

"Now here we are." You make out his sad smile in the dark. "In two separate beds. Wishing we were in one. Well I am wishing it anyway." He shakes his head. "And now i'm an idiot because my stupid mouth kept talking."

You want to make it better.

"You... No part of you is stupid," you feebly reassure him and he turns back to you.

A heartbeat passes before he speaks. "I'll let you get some sleep."

You shake your head and you open your mouth to say no but he's already lying down and turning away from you.

You sigh once more before falling back into the pillows, turning to face his back.

"Sleep well, Jackson."

You hear the pillowcases rustle as he nods and with a heavy mind, you close your eyes, knowing that your restless heart won't let you sleep tonight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~