chapter one

Jinx was not at the moment a happy person, in fact she was angry, angry and frustrated and it was all Kid Flash's FAULT. Telling her to give up villianry, he might as well have told her to give up breathing. Who did he think he was? Oh she'd not given it up that was for sure, no boy and certainly no hero was going to tell HER what to do. The last three big robberies in Jump were all her doing.

Actually, that wasn't entirely true. Lately she'd taken only to planning out crimes, meticulously planning them mind you, but she'd not as yet been able to bring herself to commit a crime in person. She'd just been sending the boys out to commit them, her excuse was that she had bigger plans for something huge so couldn't spare the time to do the legwork herself. They'd bought it of course, the morons.

Jinx stomped angrily through the shopping centre, the whole staying at home supposedly plotting thing wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't have been for those damned roses. Every day without fail there was a rose in her room, and lately he'd taken to zooming past her on the street and leaving one on her person. And as if on cue a breeze nearly swept her off her feet and stunned passers by, she gritted her teeth and reached up to find a rose embedded in her perfectly shaped horn hairstyle. She was glad at least that Kid Flash had the forethought to cut off the thorns.

"What are you staring at?" Jinx snarled at the crowd of people that had stopped to stare at her, she stormed off.

Back in the comparative safety of her own home she began to relax. She put her feet up on the control panel and idly watched the surveillance monitors in between reading her book, one of the good things about being a mastermind and not the one doing the running around was a whole lot more time undisturbed by annoying boys.

"Nineteen Eighty Four? What's that about?" A voice asked from beside her, Jinx rolled her eyes, it seemed she'd thought too soon.

"It's a classic you moron." Jinx said rolling her eyes, apparently she'd thought too soon.

"What's it about?" Kid Flash asked pulling the book down so she had to look at him.

"It's about a stupid boy who annoys a very pretty girl and she eventually murders him." She said flatly and pointedly, unfortunately Kid Flash really didn't know what the book was about and therefore didn't get her sarcasm.

"Sounds depressing." He shrugged, Jinx groaned and buried her face in the book, suddenly she remembered something.

"Here, this is for you." Jinx said poking Kid Flash in the side with a small red book, he looked surprised and took it from her.

"You got me something?" He asked surprised, Jinx nodded and continued reading her own book. Kid Flash turned the book over in his hands and read the title aloud.

"How to rule the world: a handbook for the aspiring dictator." He looked down at Jinx with a raised eyebrow, she said nothing and simply turned a page in her book and continued reading. Exasperated Kid Flash cracked the book open and thumbed through it, the book seemed to consist of tips on how to rule the world ranging from coming to power, staying in power and keeping an eye on your enemies and was scattered with profiles of previous dictators and little quotes from people.

"'Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat.' – John Lehman." He read aloud with a giggle, in the corner of his eye he saw Jinx crack a small smile.

"So, you're trying to convert me? That makes a change." He grinned at her, Jinx seemed to be being playful for once and he didn't want to ruin the moment.

"Yes, I shall rule the world with you at my side. You can be part of my harem if you want." Jinx smirked still pretending to read her book.

"Now there's a thought." He laughed happily, and despite his previous hopes on not ruining the moment he opened his mouth again, "You're being unusually nice to me, should I be expecting some kind of trap to come falling down on me?" He asked with a small grin. The slight smile that had been playing on Jinx's lips disappeared, she glowered at him and around the corner he heard the front door open.