Chapter two

Kid Flash was out of uniform for a change, he'd decided that he deserved at least an hour or so every day where he could just do what he wanted to as a normal teenager, plus the police had to do something in this city to earn their keep after all. So he'd left his uniform at home and walked, yes walked, to the mall to kill time doing normal teenage loitering. He'd eventually found himself in a bookstore without really paying attention to how he'd got there, he was fairly surprised to find himself in front of a bookshelf containing none other than the book that Jinx had been reading the day before.

"Nineteen eighty four…" He murmured and slid it off of the shelf, it didn't feel like too weighty a book, and it wasn't amazingly long either. Carefully he looked around him to see if anyone was watching and quickly checked the ceiling for cameras, taking a deep breath he decided he was safe. To a passer by it would have appeared as if the red-headed boy had just bent the cover of the book and let it go so all the pages went from one cover to the other, as if they were trying to judge how long the book was; you would have had to get really close to the boy to notice that his pupils became a blur during this time. Wally West carefully replaced the read book on the shelf and thought about what he'd just read, the story was… pretty depressing really. It niggled at him though, what message exactly was that book trying to get across? That resistance to an authority is pointless? That there's always one inch of your soul that people can never take? Was it a warning?

Feeling dumber by the second he reluctantly searched for the literary companion guides, there had to be a book somewhere that explained what he'd just read. He noted that it was right next to the self help section, it seemed that bookstores were not without a sense of irony. He plucked a volume about nineteen eighty four off of the shelf and read it at high speed, growling annoyed he grabbed another, the last one had been no help at all.

"You should really look to see who's watching you before you do that." A calm voice with a hint of a smirk in it said over the noise of high speed reading. Kid Flash's eyes widened and his head snapped up to see Jinx before him.

"I-I…" He stumbled shocked, she KNEW it was him and he didn't have his mask on!

"Oh don't look so shocked, your mask was hardly concealing was it?" Jinx said rolling her eyes, short of concealing Kid Flash's eyebrow colour, red unsurprisingly, the mask hid very little and it wasn't hard to pick out that flame of hair and athletic figure from your average Jump city citizen.

"I guess." Kid Flash admitted hiding the book behind his back hoping she hadn't noticed it.

"What were you reading anyway?" Jinx asked looking around at the large self help section next to him, she turned a devious grin on him.

"Self help? Does the infamous Kid flash need datingguides?" Jinx snickered placing a hand on her hip and leaning confidently against the bookshelf next to her, she was used to having the upper hand and was enjoying using it against Kid Flash for a change.

"Wally!" Kid Flash hissed at Jinx's use of his super hero name, he could already feel his skin reddening at her teasing, he wasn't used to being in such a compromising position around a girl, let alone Jinx, he was usually supercool or he liked to think so at least.

"Not a name I'd have guessed but Wally it is." Jinx grinned stepping closer to the obviously uncomfortable Wally West.

"Though you do have something going for your civilian disguise, your hair is different." She said flicking the longish curtain of it that hung limply over one blue eye.

"It's not being attacked by high speed winds, plus have you ever tried hair gel at high speed? Anything and everything sticks to it. I'd rather not be human flypaper." Wally laughed trying to brush the abused hair out of his eyes, as he juggled the book behind his back from one hand to another to brush his hair away Jinx took the opportunity to snatch the book away from him and dance backwards away from him.