chapter sixteen

Jinx sat in her room in silence so the whooshing noise the door made as it opened was all the more pronounced, Jinx turned her head to see Raven and Cyborg at the entranceway, she warily waved them in. Cyborg sat down on the edge of her bed, the weight of this action caused Jinx's edge of the mattress to rise up a few inches and slide her down into the middle of the bed. Raven stayed standing stoically by the door.

"Uh… hi?" Jinx offered after some time had passed with no one saying anything.

"I don't believe you did it." Cyborg said simply.

"Neither do I." Raven agreed.

"I did all the math, there's no way you could have gotten there and back in time without anyone else seeing you." Cyborg said hopefully.

"That sounds like the kind of thing that should convince Robin." Jinx said, feeling the falseness of the words as they came out of her mouth.

"Yeah, but he's so convinced he saw you at that parade and with BB and Star saying they saw you and you attacked them no less, there's nothing in the world that could convince him of anything else." Cyborg said with a sigh.

"He's wrong though, and I think he even suspects it. You're not that kind of person." Raven said flatly.

"What kind of person? A crook? Maybe not now, but I was." Jinx said frowning; even if it wasn't helping her case she wasn't going to let them be deluded about her, she wasn't above stealing, even now. If need be to stop a criminal, she'd steal, intimidate and various other criminal things to get her way, just now her way happened to be… well… Kid Flash's way.

"No, it's not your style, gloating maybe, but you'd not come back and act like you'd not done anything to mess with us, what good would it do you?" Cyborg clarified Raven's point.

"So the main pin of your argument is that I'm too cool to do it?" Jinx smirked.

"They've got that part right at least." Kid Flash smiled from his new place at the door, Jinx hadn't even heard him arrive.

"See ya later Jinx." Cyborg said getting up and making his way to the door, he knew he should give Kid Flash and Jinx space.

"I'll bring you some food later; it'd make things worse you coming down with Beast Boy in the mood he's in. I'll see if I can make him see sense but I wouldn't hold your breath, he's never seen any yet." Raven said rolling her eyes.

"Hey gorgeous." Kid Flash grinned as the door slid closed behind him.

"Hey." Jinx said flatly.

"Still ticked about earlier?" Kid Flash asked sitting down on the edge of Jinx's bed.

"Yeah, I just feel bad, I'm not exactly making this whole becoming a hero thing easy for you am I?" Jinx sighed and leant her head back onto the wall tiredly.

"It's okay." He replied simply.

"No it's not," Jinx frowned with her eyes closed, "I'm screwing everything up here. Maybe I should just leave Jump, make a new start in a new city, and go solo." Jinx sighed and opened her eyes to stare up at the ceiling.

"What about me?" Kid Flash asked quietly after a while.

"You're fast enough to be here enough and to come and wind me up whenever you please." Jinx shrugged.

"It shouldn't have to come to that." Kid Flash said tersely, Jinx tilted her head forward at this sudden change in Kid Flash's tone, his hands were clenched tightly and he looked almost scary.

"Hey… It'll be okay." Jinx said smiling slightly at him.

"No it won't, this isn't making any sense, why is everyone saying that they saw you when it obviously wasn't you?" Kid Flash demanded shakily, he and Jinx stared at each other for a moment until Kid Flash seemed to deflate and sat hunched over with his face buried in his hands and his fingers tangled in his hair.