chapter twenty

"Argh! This is pointless! Every time we arrest someone another alarm goes off elsewhere!" Cyborg shouted frustrated, it wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't for the fact that half of the alarms were false ones set off by criminals who promptly vanished.

"We've got to keep doing this." Robin said running towards the next alarm.

"But we've been doing this for nearly an hour!" Beast Boy panted trying to keep up.

"Well sorry we dragged you from tower guard duty but there's no way we could have done this if there had been any less than all of us out here." Kid Flash said running backwards and rolling his eyes at Beast Boy. Robin jerked to a halt.

"It's not like we've even seen the same criminal twice, and it's never been more than one person, and all one after the other, just to keep us running around the city almost." Robin murmured standing still.

"What? So this is some sort of villain conspiracy to make us run a marathon?" Beast boy snorted rolling his eyes.

"No, I don't know, just something really doesn't feel right here!" Robin said shaking his head furiously, he could almost feel the missing puzzle piece in his grasp, he was so close.

"Gah, forget it, we've got to get moving." Robin sighed and started to run again, suddenly Kid Flash's hand was on his chest holding him in place.

"What?" He asked staring at the boy who looked immensely pale and wide eyed, he followed Kid Flash's look and saw two shady looking characters trying desperately to close a dumpster lid, unbeknownst to them something was hanging out still and blocking their way, it looked awfully like a leg, a long purple and black striped leg with an oversized boot on the end. Kid Flash was over there in a bang, both villains thrown across the alleyway and he was already scrabbling at the dumpster, pulling desperately on the exposed leg to pull her out.

"Jinx!" He yelped desperately, her skin felt so cold, far colder than it should have, he heard the other Titans arrive just behind him as an almightly snap and rip echoed down the alleyway as the slender leg came loose from the hip that had previously contained it. Kid Flash fell backwards and screamed holding Jinx's leg.

"Whoa whoa, calm down!" Cyborg yelped grabbing it off of him, "It's not real, it's robotic." He said soothingly and showed the exposed wires and cables to prove it.

"Since when did Jinx have a robotic leg?" Beast Boy blinked confused whilst Kid Flash sat on the floor hyperventilating.

"She does not, I am sure of it." Starfire replied equally confused.

"But, why would anyone make a copy of a leg that looked just like Jinx's?" Cyborg mused as Robin heaved open the dumpster lid and began to throw trashbags aside.

"So the rest of the copy could walk." Robin replied hauling the rest of the robot out of the dumpster.

"What on earth?" Raven breathed as she took in the sight of the robotic Jinx sitting one legged on the floor, propped up against the side of the dumpster.

"It looks broken." Robin said flatly as he poked the robot and got no response.

"No, I think it's just out of juice." Cyborg said leaning forward and giving the robot a jolt of power from his battery, the robot's head snapped up and it's eyes focused on Cyborg.

"Nice try losers!" It shouted loudly in a voice that was unmistakably Jinx's, one of it's hands flew up and the skin of it's palm suddenly flashed blindingly brightly pink for a half a second. Beast Boy and Starfire both went pale.

"That is… exactly how… oh my." Starfire stammered.

"I kept saying there was no way she could have got across town in time." Raven murmured.