chapter thirteen

Jinx returned to the jewellery shop out of breath, she bent over and rested her hands on her knees and wheezed out an explanation to Robin.

"They… got away… I'm sorry." Jinx panted and straightened up.

"It's okay Jinx, I'm sure Star and Raven will have more luck from the air and Beast Boy is following their scent." Robin said patting her on the shoulder, Jinx nodded at this, it wouldn't be the first time that villains had been caught by the two airborne Titans or the small shape shifter some time after the fact, herself included. Robin looked around the destroyed jewellery shop in dismay.

"Would you mind staying here and helping the police file their report and try and estimate how much they stole? You've always had a knack at sorting diamonds from glass." Robin smirked.

"Sure thing." Jinx shrugged knowing that she'd drawn the short straw before, they all hated dealing with the police reports but it had to be done. As Robin left Jinx enjoyed the silence of the shop for a moment or two before bending down and sifting through the glass on the floor looking for discarded diamonds.

"Well, what do we have here?" Jinx murmured picking up a shimmering rock, closing one eye she held it up to the light. She grinned catlike, all that glittered might not be gold but NOTHING glittered quite like a diamond and she'd never been fooled yet by polished glass, this was a diamond and a real beauty too.

She glanced down at the floor and her jaw dropped, convinced she must be wrong she shifted her hand through the sparkling floor but to her shock all the pieces of what she'd assumed were glass before glittered in that unmistakable way. In one swift movement she ripped off a sleeve, tied a knot in the bottom and started scooping the diamonds off the floor and into her makeshift bag. She stood up and surveyed the shop in a well practiced way, it didn't take long for her to select several pieces, a few easily sold on and several flashy expensive things for her private collection, she'd always liked necklaces. Hefting her bag over her shoulder she turned to the door to find it blocked by a shocked Robin, she smirked.

"See ya boy blunder." She smirked and sent him a powerful hex that knocked him off the floor, as she stepped over his prone body she smiled satisfied, she was in for a very profitable future.

Jinx gasped and sat bolt upright in bed with sweat pouring off of her and gasping for air.

"Jesus, what a dream." Jinx muttered hugging her knees with one arm and running a hand through her loose tangled hair. Had that been a nightmare or a dream? She stared at her shaking hand, was she turning back into a criminal? She shook her head fiercely, if that had been a dream, a good dream, she'd not have woken up so scared and horrified.

"But what if it is the beginning of me turning back?" Jinx whispered to the empty room. She slowly laid back on her bed but was unable to will herself back to sleep no matter how exhausted she felt, several hours of trying later Jinx looked at her clock and decided to get up, it turned out that the others were up too and apparently being very loud.

Jinx surveyed the argument with some interest although she seemed to be the only one doing so.

"TOFU!" Beast Boy screamed waving a block of it in Cyborg's face.

"BACON!" Cyborg shouted back waving a pack threateningly at the green boy.

"They have this argument every time it's either of their turns to cook, just so you know." Raven commented bored as Jinx jumped over the back of the sofa to sit down, still in her pyjamas. She wasn't the only one though, Starfire was wearing pyjamas with cats on and bunny slippers, Raven wore plain black pyjamas as was to be expected and Robin being the anally retentive person that he was, was dressed in his uniform. He probably slept in it, Jinx mused thoughtfully. Next to her Kid Flash was dressed but he had all the time in the world to do what he wanted, so that was no surprise. Jinx turned her attention back to the argument playing out entertainingly in front of her.