chapter nine

"Ah-ah." Jinx smirked waving a finger at him, "You REALLY think those will work with me around?" She said snapping her fingers, the small ball like objects flashed pink for a moment but nothing more happened. Red X's eyes slid from the balls to Jinx and back again.

"You're bluffing." He said uncertainly.

"If you're so sure then go ahead, but you know how badly those could misfire on you. I suppose the question is, how lucky do you feel?" The bad luck queen smiled. Red X considered this for a moment before swinging his arm up, the Titans were later to disagree as to exactly what came out of the pellets but the general consensus was some kind of glue/gunge/explosion hybrid caused by three of the pellets backfiring simultaneously and that the resulting mixture took the Museum staff three days to scrape off of the walls and ceilings.

Jinx stared down at the ooze covered form of Red X blankly, she shifted her gaze to the open museum door and saw a familiar glimpse of fiery hair at the corner of the steps.

"I bet your idiot team don't even know about you yet do they? Or anyone else for that matter!" Red X snarled wriggling against the tightening ooze, Jinx paused momentarily, her team probably hadn't noticed yet and as this was her first bust she could go back still. But oddly the thought suddenly held no attraction for her, all that seemed to be on her mind was finding out if Kid Flash was okay.

"I thought not. But believe me, by the end of the day everyone will know and they'll all be after your skin!" Red X shouted triumphantly. Jinx forced this thought down and stepped over him towards the cool night air of the museum entrance.

Slumped awkwardly on the floor by the steps was Kid Flash, near him was the spent knock out gas pellet. Jinx worriedly looked at how close his head was to the step, if he'd been running when the gas got to him he could have hit his head hard on the way down. She skidded down the remaining steps to him, thankful that he'd not fallen the whole way down the whole flight of stairs and turned him over. Much to her dismay and angry red gash ran across one corner of his head from his right temple to his hairline and the red stain on the edge of the step above him confirmed his story, he'd hit his head and hard too.

"Kid Flash, can you hear me?" Jinx said holding a hand by his mouth to check for his breathing, thankfully he still was but she got no vocal response from the boy to indicate anything even near consciousness.

"Come on, wake up." Jinx ordered him as she pulled his body into her lap and cradled his injured head in her arm, experimentally she tried getting up but it seemed unlikely that she could carry him and certainly not bridal style, Kid Flash was a good three inches taller than her at least and the boy was all lean muscle which made him pretty heavy to boot.

"Mnnrh." Kid Flash grunted after a moment.

"Wake up!" Jinx urged and tapped his face with her free hand in a vain attempt to get him to come round.

"Uhnnnn." Kid Flash moaned unhappily and rolled away from the hand accosting his face and right into Jinx's chest. After a stunned and slightly angry pause Jinx decided that this could be possibly the only scenario in which the speedster could bury his face in her somewhat sparse cleavage and not get hexed to tiny little pieces of Kid Flash.

"WAKE. UP." She growled shaking him roughly. Kid Flash's eyes eventually fluttered open slightly and he looked at her blearily.

"Jinx." He smiled in a dazed and hazy way, Jinx resisted the temptation to roll her eyes at that look.

"It's me Kid Flash, listen, you need to stay awake, I think you've got a concussion." Jinx said slowly and clearly, a dopy cheeky grin spread across the boy's face as an idea slowly occurred to him.