Down the valley

"We are very sorry Mr. Thomas. We weren't able to save your baby."
I stood there for a moment trying to take every word in.
"Mr.Thomas?" The doctor questioned.
"I'm ..how's my wife?"I fumbled.
"She's stable now,but she still needs to gain health therefore she needs to stay under observation for few days."The doctor answered with a weak smile.
The doctor left and my mom touched my shoulder I could see tears on her eyes. Katy looked at me with horror.
I slowly walked inside the ICU and saw her lying down with closed eyes. My feet stumbled and I felt the pain I had never felt before its like someone is tearing my heart into pieces and its difficult to breath.I tried to touch my chest  with both my hands,took a deep breath and I started making my way to her bed.
I sat near her, I looked at her. She seemed so peaceful. How will I muster the courage to tell her. I thought about how happy she was how she was waiting for each and everyday bearing the pain to see her child how was I  gonna tell her.
I squeezed her hands gently as tears ran down my cheeks.
"Tom, what happened?"
She whispered softly looking at me.
I looked at her trying to wipe my tears away and with a weak smile I said "I'm just happy to see you're alright."
She smiled a little then she questioned "where's our baby. I want to see. Is it Alex or Ava? Oh my god. I can't wait to see. I guess its with mom outside. Well I don't mind she was also really excited. Can you please bring the baby here?"
I lost word for a while. I froze as I heard my heart breaking. "Tom?" She looked at me searching for an answer the answer that I was afraid to give.
"Hon.."I kissed her cheeks.
"The baby could not make it."
"What do you mean Tom?"she looked at me in disbelief.
"Jerry..I'm not good with words and please forgive me if you can but I don't know how to make it better for you I wish I could I love  you Jerry and I'm sorry that we have to go through this but our baby is never going to be back."I spoke as the tears ran down my eyes. I messed up. I know. I'm not good at this my heart is breaking too in what ways could I tell her possibly.
"I want to stay Alone for a while."Jerry spoke softly.
"No..I won't let you. Jerry please.."I wanted to make her feel that she was not alone that we were going to go through this together.
"Please I said."she stared at me in pain.
I kissed her hands as she turned her head away from me and I made my way outside slowly. It felt like it wasn't the baby alone that we lost today it felt like we lost something along with it.