Overcoming the Barrier

A/N: I meant to put this up yesterday, but after an entire day of IB testing and playing 2 hours of soccer while injuring my wrist made me really exhausted :P So, here's chapter 22! Don't forget to vote for my story in @KnB_WattyAwards under the category of "Others"! The voting is still going on until the end of May and I realllllllly want to win 1st! :) Dedication to this chapter goes to person who votes first <3

---------------------------------   

After the practice game, Riko herded us all outside. We were greeted by the sight of large trash cans filled with ice.

“This is my special icing technique. It’s great for sore muscles and fatigue. You sit in it.”

“NANI?!”

We lowered ourselves into the ice with the occasional curses being muttered from the boys. Me, on the other hand, was being forced in by Riko.

“Noooo! Riko-chan! Not the ice! It’s COLD!” I shrieked. She pushed down on my shoulders, forcing my legs to slip a bit on the rim of the container.

“KYAA!”

The boys all looked on, amused at my expressions. I glanced at the guys with a pitiful look.

“Heeeeelp meeee!” I whined. Kiyoshi got up from his trash can and helped Riko push me down. They were both grinning while they tortured me.

“KYA! DEMONS!”

-------------------------------------

[Kagami’s POV]

After my run on the beach with Kuroko, I felt calmer. Sure, losing to Midorima in a one-on-one match really pissed me off, but that only fuelled my desire to play better and get stronger. I went back to the basketball court outside but the low thuds of a basketball stopped me. I paused behind one of the bushes, just peeking over to see who it was.

The figure was graceful – no, more than that. I was ensnared in the figure’s way of moving. It was almost as if he was resisting air and defying gravity itself, flowing like water. I watched, awestruck. It wasn’t until the person dashed behind the hoop, tossing the ball backwards. It was a play that I had seen before – by Aomine. The ball rolled on the rim before neatly falling into the hoop with an audible swish.

“Tch! I was so close!”

I nearly jerked forward in surprise as I recognized the feminine voice of Masami. What is she doing out here? It’s almost midnight!

“I have to keep up with them or else Kaname will be disappointed…” Kaname? Who’s that? I continued to watch as she practiced by herself, adding in her ballet moves or whatever. I ended up forgetting why I was at the court. 

-------------------------------

[Masami’s POV]

We all left the inn, feeling better about ourselves. Sure, we lost against Shutoko three out of three times, but still, we did pretty good without Kagami. I felt proud of our team for improving immensely.

“Wahh! I feel rejuvenated!”

“I want to go home and sleep!”

“I can’t sleep with a different pillow now…”

“That’s it! Sleep in pillows, sleep in darkness!”

“Izuki, shut up.”

As we all rounded the corner, Riko stopped behind us with her hands on her hips. “And where do you all think you’re going?”